Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tomorrow Morning

Tomorrow morning they will be taking my Mom down for open heart surgery at 7am. I think it just hit me tonight how serious all of this is. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking the situation lightly..........I think I was just ignoring what it "really" was. It's much easier to deal with something like that if you just cast it off like it's no big deal. Heart surgery? Piece of cake! Humpfh...my denial did not last long...obviously! The way I'm dealing with this reminds me of how I dealt with my bedrest just a few months ago and the possibility that I would be delivering a 28-weeker. I laughed A LOT during that time...cracked jokes nonstop...then would breakdown at random times, ball my eyes out for 30 minutes and start the cycle over again. I must say it's a pretty effective way of coping with life. Keeps me laughing more than crying!

When I talked to my Mom a bit ago, it sounds like she had done the same thing. Like mother, like daughter! I was surprised at how upbeat and positive she was the last few days, despite the circumstances, so I'm guessing she tried as hard as she could to ignore what was about to happen. Apparently the hospital staff forced her into facing reality today by making her watch a couple of videos on open heart surgery and what she would be experiencing tomorrow. She said they talked about a lot of things that she had not given much thought to and by the end, she was wishing she hadn't agreed to watch them. Obviously we all know why they have these videos, but for people like Mom (and me!), we prefer to be left in the dark until we actually have to go through it...otherwise, our worrying minds get the best of us! So, I have my fingers crossed that Mom will be able to get a little rest tonight despite the awful videos. She was laughing as we hung up the phone though, so that was a good sign!

Please keep my Mom in your thoughts tomorrow!

1 comment:

Katie said...

thinking of you and your family today!! Hoping everything goes perfectly!!