Yep, I'm a year older today...32 years gone...32 years that I will never get back...BOO! It was a pretty tiring day and reminded me that I'm no crazy, energetic teenager anymore. Crazy? Yes. Energetic? Not exactly... Lili was supposed to go to daycare this morning but Mardeen's little girl had some sort of stomach bug, which we obviously did not want Lili to be exposed to! So, I started out the day with both kids on my own. Lili woke up at 7am and was just ornery. She continued to get into everything (I understand this is pretty typical for her age) and was so incredibly LOUD! Sometimes she would just shriek and scream for no apparent reason at all. Then there were the temper tantrums.........look out! Apparently somewhere around the 1 year mark parents are supposed to make life REALLY boring and uneventful for their child. This prevents the child from having anything to throw tantrums about. Drew and I were not privvy to this information, so of course we continued trying to make life fun and exciting. For example, our Saturday afternoon of sledding has now come around to bite us in the butt. Anytime we pass the front door (which is inevitable considering we have a split level and happens NUMEROUS times a day), Lili starts YELLING, "Ow-si! Ow-si!" and looks for her boots. I then explain to her that we can't go outside right now and attempt to direct her to another activity. That's when the head starts shaking back and forth........ and the look of death comes across her face.........and the arm extends with her finger pointing at the door.........."Nononono! Boo! Boo! (Boots) Ow-si!"........"I'm sorry honey, we can't go outside right now. It's too cold and the baby needs to eat."........"Nononono! WAHHHH! WAHHHHH! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"...this is when she throws her whole body against the door in dramatic protest. Sigh. I'm actually dealing with the tantrums pretty well, I just find it exhausting to have to manage so many of them all at once...one after another...yikes! Luckily, Drew came home early from work and we were able to tag team the little munchkins. It is so comforting to have an extra pair of hands available! Lili is now in bed and we just have Will to tend to. He's still a bit fussy, but each day is getting better (I think?). We're not doing anything for my birthday, which is perfectly fine with me! It's almost too much work these days to find a sitter for two and then find the energy to go out. We will probably watch a movie and then head off to bed. I did get some pretty fun gifts.......a bigger, better iPod and car adaptor from Drew...a spa gift certificate from Drew's parents...beautiful flowers from my Dad and Mary Kay...and lots of good birthday wishes from family and friends. Thanks everyone!
I am a mother of two toddlers (16 months apart), who are slowly but surely sucking the life out of me. My memory is shot to hell, but the one thing I DO remember each and every day is how grateful I am to get to be their Mom and how empty my life would be without them!
2 comments:
What's up old lady?! Welcome to the club!
sounds like a fun birthday. ;) Lili must have known it was a special day, so she was on her best behavior...haha!!
Post a Comment