
My Mom is having open heart surgery this upcoming Tuesday. After being admitted to the ICU yesterday they determined that there is fluid in her lungs resulting in her having difficulty breathing. They believe all of this is caused by the issues with her heart valves. So, they are going to keep her until her surgery, then she will stay an additional 4-5 days for post op recovery. After that, she will be sent home however someone needs to be with her 24/7 for the 1st 2 weeks. With 4 of us brothers and sisters we are hoping to be able to cover all of the shifts to give her the help that she needs once she gets home. Unfortunately, I am not sure that I will be able to be there. Tickets are over $1000 (I might call to see what type of discount they would allow for a medical emergency) and leaving Drew with 2 kids.........yikes! Will is having a difficult time right now with digestive issues and formula intolerance, so he has not been a happy boy. I thought maybe I could take him with me and leave Lili at home, but I'm not sure how much craziness that will cause for my trip back. Obviously we don't need to add more stress on my Mom and a newborn isn't exactly "stress-free". I just don't know... I really want to be there for her, but I don't know how to make it work. Luckily, one of my brothers lives with his family right there in Toledo...my sister lives in Cleveland which is only a 2 hour drive...and my oldest brother and his wife are planning to come from WA. At least it sounds like everyone else will be there to help. I'm still waiting for a brilliant idea to hit me and allow me to go without negatively impacting anyone, but I'm not sure that I've had enough sleep lately for those ideas to flow freely from my mind. While I ponder this...here is a sweet moment that I captured after dinner tonight...
7 comments:
I'll be thinking about you and your mom Andrea! If you have questions about anything regarding her surgery and the recovery, feel free to ask me. Dereks grandpa just had heart surgery a while back, and his mom called me all of the time with questions. I hope everything goes smoothly for her!
that is a super cute picture by the way! :)
This photo of A&W is precious. I think you should let your brothers and sister take this turn. Perhaps you could go when she is out of hospital and will need someone there at that time...Mel has literally been at hospital with Tom's mom 24/7. Dad and I are with you...
Thinking about you and your mom, and hoping for a quick recovery!! Try not to put too much pressure on yourself - you already have a lot on your plate right now!!
PS - Will looks like a mini-Drew in that picture!!
Thanks Everybody!
I will definitely be asking for your expertise Jenna as they fill our heads with nonsense! =-)
We'll be keeping your mom in our prayers, and the rest of you guys too, this is a lot but you guys can do it and she will get the help she needs from all of you, whether you are physically there or not:)
Post a Comment