Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fussy Baby

Will has continued his fussing all day today. There were a few hours this morning when I thought it had passed for good, but no such luck. He's been acting so much like Lili did during the early months of her life, that I am now into full blown worry mode. Initially I thought he was having the same squeezing pains in his stomach that I was having and that Lili seemed to be enduring as well...but now I'm not so sure? I guess it still could be that and I have my fingers crossed that tomorrow is a better day, but of course I am already preparing myself for the worst. The worst being that this is something we will continue to deal with for several more months and then, just like Lili, it will miraculously go away. It's hard for me to even describe what we are seeing. He's just FUSSY...drawing up his legs...passing a lot of gas...gulping his feedings...and just generally acting uncomfortable. I have read everything there is to read on these symptoms and of course they always lead to the same things..."maybe" he's just a gassy baby..."maybe" he's colicky..."maybe" he's reacting negatively to his formula. It's all one big guessing game and a game that I don't want to play! Up until a few weeks ago, everything had been great. He was a very calm baby and always seemed to take his feedings very smoothly. I was supplementing with formula at the time and still pumping what I could, so he WAS getting at least SOME breastmilk. After he went on formula 100% we started experiencing a lot of constipation. We have been giving him prune and/or pear juice as directed by our pediatrician to help alleviate some of the discomfort, but we continue to go through this crazy cycle of no poop...fussy baby cries...lots of poop...no poop...fussy baby cries...lots of poop... At Will's 2 month checkup the Doc suggested that we start weaning him off of the Neosure (higher calorie formula for preemies) and onto regular formula, to see if that would help with the constipation. If that didn't work, she said to try soy, which is what Lili eventually ended up on (even now she's on soy milk, rather than whole). We tried the regular formula for a little over a week with no change in the nasty constipation cycles. Last night we put him on soy 100%. We are going to give it a few days before giving up and taking him back in to see the pediatrician, but as of right now...yes, the constipation issues seem to be better, however he is now extremely gassy. We can't win! Based on his age, it's hard to say whether it truly is formula issues or not. I know it "sounds" like it is...but maybe it's colic? When I think about colicky babies though, he doesn't fit that description either. He doesn't cry inconsolably for hours...he's just consistently fussy...like he doesn't feel well. He whimpers a lot and now wants to be held more than usual. Again, I'm hoping for a stomach bug and to see my content baby back in a couple of days when the soy kicks in and the poo continues to flow. Poor Little Man!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hmmm. Hopefully the formula change will be what he needs. It doesn't really sound like colic, but it does sound like he's uncomfortable. Maybe once his body gets used to the new formula he'll feel better and get back to his normal calm self! I know Mara would have times when she wasn't really herself...maybe a growth spurt or something? Everything would be kind of out of whack for awhile. But it seems like this has maybe been going on longer than something that would...
Try not to stress...hopefully it will pass!!

ErinL said...

Have you tried Milacon drops for the gas? Have been a Godsend for Henri-that kid has more gas than an Exxon tanker.