Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, January 19, 2009

Colic?

Since I have a few minutes without a baby in my arms...I figure I might as well post an update on Will. I talked to the pediatrician today and she's thinking that it actually might be colic. Although it just so happens that we changed his formula on Saturday, when we looked back at the last few days, there definitely was a "pattern" to his fussiness. It seemed to start around noon on Saturday, Sunday and now today...and the last two nights it ended around 7-8pm (we'll see what tonight brings). In the late evenings, throughout the nights and in the mornings, he seemed to be o.k...fairly relaxed, taking his feedings well, sleeping longer stretches, etc. I guess I always thought that colic was only diagnosed if the baby was INCONSOLABLY crying for long periods of time, but apparently that's not necessarily true. I wouldn't say Will is inconsolable, however he is consistently fussy during these times and the only way to get him to calm down for a bit is by holding him or giving him a bottle. Even when you're holding him though, he is still often fussy until you can get him to take a little snooze...which never lasts longer than 20 or 30 minutes. So, the doctor's orders are now to give it 2 weeks. She wants us to stay on the soy and see how it goes. She doesn't think the soy is actually causing the issue and sometimes it does take babies a bit to adjust to a formula change like that. If things worsen or the "pattern" stops, she wants us to give her another call and we will go from there. I am starting a log so that I don't lose track of his feedings, moods and poops, since the days all seem to be blending together and I can't remember what is what anymore! At least if it IS colic...the pattern is developed and I know what to expect everyday.......not that that makes it any easier, but I can try to prepare myself a little bit! Oops...there he is again......if he could say "Mama", I know he would be screeching my name right now!

2 comments:

Katie said...

that's interesting! I guess you probably only really hear about the really bad cases of colic, so it's possible that there are 'less severe' cases too! (not saying it isn't bad, because I'm sure it sucks!!) Hopefully it will run its course and he will be back to normal quickly!!

ErinL said...

both the kids from 4-8 weeks had to be held CONSTANTLY. Since Will was a premie, it's a stage???