Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, October 13, 2008

The "Real" 1st Post

So my sister has been bugging me to update this thing for months. As you can see, I started it in March...posted once and then never again. Dumb. Now that I'm on permanent bedrest in the hospital until this little bugger decides to pop out I guess she thinks I have the time to update it regularly? Not sure where the heck she would get that idea...crazy kid!

For anyone who doesn't know my story yet, I'm too tired to repeat the details. The jist of it is that Baby Boy Lane tried to bust out of his cocoon at 28 weeks. Not sure what his deal is... He's a fiesty little thing! Obviously 28 weeks is way too early so the doctors are doing what they can to keep him bakin' for as long as possible. I was in the hospital for 5 days initially, contractions had stopped and I was discharged. Less than 12 hours later, they readmitted me. I've been told it's too "risky" to send me home again. They call me the "Silent Dilator" (sounds like I should be an action hero, huh?) because I really don't feel any contractions at all, but somehow I'm already dilated to 4.5cm? Not sure how that works, but... So here I sit in my hospital room. No one has any idea how long the doctors will be able to prolong this pregnancy. It could be just a few more days...could be a couple of months. Not having any idea of what to expect is driving me NUTS! Should be interesting to see if I'm even coherent at the end of all of this...or if I'm rocking back and forth in a corner...randomly talking about whether dogs can be turned into horse food or horses can be turned into dog food...

4 comments:

Chris said...

Andrea, I'm glad to hear that you guys are able to get BBL to hold back on his entry into the world, it just bites that you have to do it from the hospital.

Just look at as a vacation you never really wanted, at a place you never wanted to visit. You know just overlook the room, bed, tubes, noises, VCR, and the food.

See, vacation, you're welcome.

cgpage said...

Hey SIL we are keeping you and little Lane in our prayers. Is there a way we can contact you? Stay positive.

Katie said...

thinking about you, and hoping you're staying entertained in the hospital!

Anonymous said...

Andrea, This blog is a terrific idea. Saves your writing umpteen times to folks the same stuff, too! Speaking of [Chris!) the "vacation you never really wanted", there are ways a restless and/or bored mind can turn the proverbial lemon into lemonade - if not a lemon tree - like, hmmm, like submitting your astute recommendations to improve the quality of services performed by all categories of hospital personnel from bedside manners to efficiency of task execution. Also, I'm sure your rapid brain is analyzing/has noted aspects of the environment itself. Is it safe,spacious enough, comfortable, designed for best functioning for ALL, and at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing?! What about the products you receive (mind-boggling list of these, perhaps, some subtle), starting with the food quality and quantity?!! How's the bed? Bedding quality? Towels? Bathroom spray? Oh my - quick, the Lotus spread sheets, and where's the power point software for the final presentation to the hospital president and staff? (Or you could submit a bound report lol.) You could put the patient services and/or patient complaints department nearly out of business and/or help the hospital receive the highest accreditation - maybe they'd even make the Health Grades list of the Top 50, if they haven't already! Future patients would benefit! Meanwhile, have Drew bring treats to the nurses' station periodically to model impeccable PR and foster good will. See? So many constructive things to attend to re. the outer environment while Baby Lane develops in the inner resting one ; )

Yes, yes, - all tongue in cheek and meant to help ease a bit of boredom you may have from time to time! (I think Chris' funny comment got me started!So now you may think this blog wasn't such a great idea after all - lol ; )

We love you - anything we can do/send - whatever - let us know! Your Dad and I look forward to your next "vacation bulletin".