Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Friday, October 24, 2008

Cuckoo Birds

There is a group here at the hospital called "Integrative Medicine" (a.k.a. the Cuckoo Birds). Initially I was told that they do things like massage therapy and acupuncture, which I understood to be very useful to many people. I have never had a massage in my life, because I don't like people touching me...but when you're on bedrest, you have a tendency to get a lot more headaches and bodyaches than the average person. Due to some of the pain I experienced the first week I was here, they called the Cuckoo Birds to come and do some massage therapy to hopefully work through whatever tension I was building up in my body. This was my first run-in with the Cuckoo Birds and since then, they have come to "see how I'm doing" 2-3 times a week. Why do I call them the Cuckoo Birds? Because above and beyond acupuncture and massage, they also love to do "energy work"...to ward off the evil spirits.........to free my pain.................pulling it out of my body. They kind of freak me out because they stand by the bed with their eyes closed and they shake and wave their arms around like Phoebe in that episode of "Friends" where she takes up jogging. I just kind of lay there and laugh hysterically (internally, of course). I feel bad because I don't have the backbone to tell them I think their "energy work" is a bunch of mumbo jumbo........but at the same time, I'm not sure how many more of these "sessions" I can endure without the laughter just exploding from my mouth! I know I shouldn't laugh...there are a lot of people who are into that kind of thing and I think it's great if it helps them...but obviously I don't have the mental capacity to focus on what they're doing and accept its "healing powers"...............

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love that episode of Friends! That is so weird. Do the doctors and nurses 'believe' in their powers? It seems weird that they would be in a hospital. I mean, I understand the massages and stuff like that, but the other stuff...kind of weird for a hospital! Oh well, whatever works!!