Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, March 23, 2009

Sleep...Need Sleep...!#@@#($*&$##!


Little Man decided this past weekend that he didn't need to sleep anymore. I'm not sure who told him he could make that decision, but he did...and it stinks! Up until recently, things really hadn't been too bad. About a month ago he set his own bedtime somewhere between 6 & 7pm, would sleep until midnight and then was up about every 3 hours after. Sure, it wasn't ideal, but it really only ended up being twice each night, which was a heck of a lot better than what we ever got from Lili at this age! Needless to say, we got a little too comfortable with Will's sleep habits and next thing you know, the little trickster threw us a curveball. The past two nights he has been waking up around 2 or 3am..........and staying awake. No, not staying awake for an hour and going back to sleep. STAYING AWAKE. This morning he was up at 3am and proceeded to wave his arms around and kick his legs for 3 hours before we finally headed to daycare. I have no idea what tonight will bring and that is absolutely the worst part...not knowing. I try to prepare myself for the worst, but I still can't seem to prevent the anxiety over it.

For any other parents out there who obsess about their children's sleep habits (as I do) and don't believe in making them "Cry It Out", I found a website that has always made me feel a little bit better about things. This woman, a Mom, started blogging about motherhood many years ago and it has turned into this crazy website where Moms all over the world come to ask questions, express concerns, share tips, etc. One post in particular has always held true to the ups and downs I've experienced with both Lili and Will and their unexplainable night wakings. Moxie refers to them as "sleep regressions", which usually coincide with growth spurts and after adding up the weeks, I think Will just hit his 12 week. Of course I can't be sure, but at this point I'm just desperate to have something that at least "sounds good" and makes me feel better. When you're sleep deprived, all you want is to know that things will get better. So, if you're interested, check this out. Even if you don't agree, it's a good read!

http://www.askmoxie.org/2006/02/qa_what_are_sle.html

3 comments:

Katie said...

have you ever looked into the "Ferber" sleep method? I've talked to a lot of moms that swear by it. It's not 'cry it out' - it's more like, go in and soothe every few minutes, and gradually stretch the time longer and longer...I don't know all the details, but might be something to look into (or maybe you already have!). Good luck...not knowing how the night will go is the worst part, I agree :(

Jenny and Jon said...

Jackson did not sleep through the night until 8 months, really, I sympathize with you. I have only just started to catch up on sleep and realize how much better I feel as a human being with an uninterrupted night of sleep...now watch him start teething now that I've said this!!!

Daddy Files said...

I absolutely agree on the growth spurts. My Will would sleep great and then all of a sudden he'd wake up 4-5 times a night. But it would only last for a week or so and then he'd be back to normal.

But we definitely believe in cry it out because it worked so well. Sure it's tough to listen to him cry, but he took to it pretty quick and we saved sleep (and our sanity) afterwards. Best thing we ever did.