Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

He's Not Slow!



Right now I'm going through a defensive phase with Will. He's 4 1/2 months...smiling like a damn fool...firing off the occasional laugh (and gas blast)...and in the 25% for weight. He "looks" like a 4 month old, but he acts like a 2 month old. He's not rolling over yet...still a bobblehead...and still waking up in the night. Lately I've had a lot of people ask me how old he is. I proudly say 4 1/2 months and watch as they give me this questionable look. If it happens at daycare, often times there is another baby close in age to Will who is doing so much more and sitting right next to him. It makes me want to say, "He's not slow! Just early!". The thing is, it really shouldn't matter. Even if he were behind, who cares? He's still the cutest, sweetest baby in the world and I can't even express how much love I have for him. I've decided that the reason I "care" is because I do love my kids and am so worried about them being teased. I know that this is inevitable and simply part of growing up, but the thought of someone making fun of them or hurting their feelings makes me want to vomit. I'm pretty sure my concerns are a direct result of being made fun of incessantly throughout my own childhood (I was fat and nerdy...and still am, for that matter), but I'm thinking a therapist may be better qualified to answer that question. Maybe that's what I should be when I grow up? Then I can just treat myself and be done with it!

1 comment:

Katie said...

awww. I have had friends go through this too, and I know I would feel defensive about it myself! People are just dumb sometimes. He's doing great!! (and so dang cute!!)