Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, March 8, 2009

I Love Barney...






...and I'm not afraid to say it! Personally, I'm too old to have grown up with Barney myself...however I was in the babysitting phase when Barney was most popular. I never could understand why people wanted to KILL Barney (and still do!). Seriously...I understand that the show is pretty cheesy, but c'mon...I've certainly seen worse things on TV and frankly, Barney is probably more educational than most of them. I remember watching certain Barney videos hundreds of times with the kids I babysat for...to the point where I had the songs memorized. I never got sick of them, the kids were entertained...what's the big deal?
Anyway, so my point to all of this is that I bought Lili a Barney DVD at Target today for $5 (another bonus...everyone hates him, so the DVDs are cheap!) and she LOVED it! Recently we have been trying to find a program that will keep Lili engaged and so far had been unsuccessful. We tried Care Bears, Mickey Mouse, Elmo and Baby Einstein. The only one that even remotely got her attention was Wonder Pets. She actually sat through one 20 minute episode, but then would only look up at the TV occasionally when we played them for her after that. I am certainly not looking for a "babysitter" for my child, however right before bed each night there is a "rough patch", as I like to call it, where I feel like I need something to help us through. For some reason, Will has decided to set his own bedtime these days, which happens to be 7pm. This coincides perfectly with Lili's bedtime, however this means that Will needs a feeding during the 30 minutes prior to putting them both down. There are several nights during the week where I am by myself and have been finding it difficult to feed Will and also keep Lili interested in a quiet activity. Normally we would read books right before going to bed, but Lili has a hard time sitting NEXT to me while I'm feeding Will, so that we can do that. Instead she wants to sit on my lap and wants me to turn the pages...which doesn't work too well when I'm also holding an infant and trying to keep a bottle in his mouth. So now I have been reading books at other times, which is fine.......but then she has nothing to occupy her during those final 30 minutes. This leaves her wandering through the upstairs on her usual path of destruction...getting into the garbage, climbing on the kitchen table, opening and/or starting the dishwasher, sliding under the gate at the top of the stairs to go "exploring" downstairs....*sigh*... Poor Will! I swear that kid has not had an uninterrupted feeding in MONTHS! Haha! I am pretty excited though because after tonight I have renewed hope that I might have found something to keep Miss. Lili snuggled up next to me on the couch while I feed Mr. Chub Chub. It was so cute watching her... She was just GIGGLING at all of the kids dancing and singing and had a huge smile on her face the whole time! I think she enjoyed the kids more than Barney. We will see if the interest is there again tomorrow night before I purchase anymore!
Other than our Barney discovery, this weekend was fairly uneventful. I took a gift certificate that Drew's parents had gotten me for X-mas and got my hair cut and highlighted yesterday. We also went over to John and Lisa's for dinner and ran a few errands. Lili had a couple of outings outdoors to walk around the neighborhood and Will cultivated two huge poops that he unleashed on us today (the kid hasn't pooped since Thursday despite the laxative that we give him 3x's a day...I'll leave those details for another post!). I made a chocolate cake today (Duncan Hines, of course...there's no way I would make a cake from scratch! Are you kidding me?!?) and Lili got to experience her first beater licking! She went nuts over the cake batter and then Drew had to bring up her getting sick from eating raw eggs. I took the opportunity to remind him that we have probably licked hundreds of beaters and bowls in our lifetimes so far and are doing just fine. This encouraged him to question how normal we really are and if all of those beaters and bowls could have had anything to do with the insanity that we both contribute towards each and every day. Hmmm...good question!
Anyway, here are a few pics from the weekend. Can you believe how big Will is getting?!? Holding his head up like a big boy!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Barney is about the most annoying thing ever! But if he entertains Lili, then what can you do?

Licking beaters is one of the best things about being a kid. You can't deny Lili that pleasure! And cookie dough too. You've got to be able to eat a bit of that as well! ;)