Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Want To Hurt The Person Who Invented...

...GUMMY-VITES! Seriously......who thought little, kid-sized vitamins in Gummy Bear form was a "good" idea? Sure, all of us parents get sucked into buying them..."thinking" it would be the best way to get our kids to actually take one. The reality of what we've just done though doesn't come until later...until after our children have had the 1st one...until after they become OBSESSED with the damn things...until after they whine and cry for the fruity flavored "nummies" all day long, for days and days, and weeks and weeks...until after they have shown that they can think of nothing other than Gummy-Vites...until after we, as parents, realize that a 20 month old doesn't give a damn about the "two per day" limit. This has been our experience with Gummy-Vites thus far. We innocently bought a giant bottle of them at Sam's Club one day, believing that Lili would enjoy them and not thinking about her possibly enjoying them a little too much. The poor kid truly believes Mom and Dad are torturing her by not allowing her free reign of the bottle. Any time we come within 10 feet of the kitchen, she starts asking for them.

L: "Ah un nummy?" (Translation: I want a Gummy).
D or A: "I'm sorry Lili but you know you can only have a Gummy after breakfast and after dinner. You will have to wait."
L: "Ah un NUMMY?" (Translation: I told you I want a Gummy).
D or A: "Lili you are going to have to wait. It's not time for a Gummy."
L: "AH UN NUMMY?!?" (Translation: I want a freakin' Gummy dang-it-all...don't you people understand?!?!?)
D or A: "O.k. Lili, let's go play." (This is when we steer her towards the living room or down the stairs.)
L: "AHHHH UNNN NUUUMMMMYYY....WAAAAHHHHHHH!!" (Temper tantrum ensues.)

O.k., we are now having this argument DAILY. I told Drew that since it was his brainiac idea to buy her the healthy stuff in the first place, he is now responsible for administering them and for dealing with all Gummy-related temper tantrums. Of course even with my threats, it doesn't mean that Lili isn't going to pitch a fit when Daddy isn't around. Damn the Gummy-Vites!

1 comment:

ErinL said...

1. Carter hates the things and all things gummy.

2. Try to get her on the hard chewy vitamins, the gummies don't have iron.

Sorry, that's all the advice I've got for you.