Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Art




Art was always my favorite thing to do growing up. I remember going to art classes at the Toledo Art Musuem on the weekends and I was really big into art in high school. In fact, that's what made me want to be an architect, which was my major in college when I went to Miami U. Lili already seems to be showing similar interests (though that could be just her age), so I thought I should try to encourage it a little more at home. Nancy, one of Lili's teachers at NH, pointed out a project that she had done in the infant room the other day and it seemed like such an easy thing to do at home as well. You take coffee filters and have the kids scribble on them with markers. You then spray them with a water bottle and watch as the colors run together and create sort of a tie-dyed affect. You can do whatever you want with them after that, though they had folded them into flowers and hung them on the windows to their classroom. Today Lili made her own flowers! I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but she had fun and seemed really engaged in the activity. I have been having a hard time figuring her out lately and trying to find things that grab her attention. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I need to do more activities like this one? I think it would be a blast to have Saturday and Sunday art at home, however it's going to require a little bit of pre-planning......which I'm not sure I have the time to do. She would really love it though...and now it has me thinking!


Notice how she's holding the marker in her LEFT hand?!?!? She is totally, 100%, a LEFTY (like her Mama)! Some people might say it's too early to tell, but I just have this "feeling"...plus, she CONSISTENTLY uses her left hand to feed herself, color, etc.
While we waited for our "flowers" to dry, she also got to put stickers on a Wonder Pets poster. They are removable, which is nice, so she can play with it again! Plus.......she has a tendency to put all of the stickers in the same spot....one of top of the other. I tried pointing out empty spaces to put them in, but you know how kids are!

No comments: