Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, March 22, 2009

I'm Not Ready Yet

I'm not ready for potty training...and I'm certainly not ready for Driver's Ed! HA!

This morning as I was getting Lili dressed I informed her that when we were ready, we were going to go outside (I've already learned the hard lesson that you wait until the last minute to tell a toddler you're going to do something). I ran downstairs to grab her coat and my camera (can't go outside without a camera, right?) and came back up to find this. Lili had found one of her hats, got it on her head and was heading down to go outside. It cracked me up because the hat was just a little too big for her and her eagerness to go "ow-si" is so much fun to see!

While we were outside, we walked next door to where Daddy and some of his friends were changing the oil on my car. They left the front door open, so of course Lili climbed right in. Knowing there wasn't too much she could hurt, I let her do it. First, she just sat for awhile and grabbed the steering wheel...moving it back and forth as if she was driving.

Then she stood up, found the keys in the cupholder and was actually trying to put them in the ignition!! She knew right where it was at and it dawned on me at that moment, that she was observing SO much more than I ever suspected!!

Then came the toilet incident after bath tonight. I recently picked up a potty that converts into a step stool and have been letting Lili use it to wash her hands at the bathroom sink. She can't quite reach the water yet, but I help her and she tries really hard! Anyway, Drew has been telling me lately that we need to get her potty trained and of course I insist that she's a little too young for that yet. So tonight, after we already had her in a fresh diaper and her jammies, Drew says, "Do you want to use the potty Lili?" Lili knows that the big toilet is a potty and recently starting saying "Yah" to everything, so when he asked, she responded with "Yah". Suddenly Drew gets all excited and tells me that she wants to use the potty. I tell him that he's full of you-know-what and I remind him that she says "Yah" to everything now. Nope, he was gonna undress her and let her use the potty. So once again, I see a photo opportunity coming... I walk back into the bathroom and there she is, sitting on her potty saying, "Poo-poo? Poo-poo?" ...and there Drew is, encouraging her to go poo-poo on the potty. She actually did let out a few farts while sitting on her "throne" and I was getting ready to give Drew kudos for his potty training efforts, but it never went any further than that. Drew was SO gung-ho about her enjoying her 1st time on the potty, he tried to give her a People magazine........you know, to help things "flow".........humpfh!

2 comments:

ErinL said...

lol. Carter now runs upstairs.. " I have to go POOOOOOOP!" I help him get on the toilet, he asks for a book then that I close the door & go away. He calls when he's done so I can wipe him (get some Cottenelle wipes-you can flush them & they clean like a diaper wipe- you can get a wipe pack or single packets to keep in your diaper bag or glove box) and to prove he pooped in the toilet (accidents now result in loss of TV time-poops in the toilet get TV time back)

Katie said...

haha she looks so funny 'driving' the car!!!

and too funny about the potty. oh the fun things to look forward to ;)