Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Porky Porkerton Joins The Biggest Loser

So they're doing a Biggest Loser contest at work and somehow I convinced myself that this is the kick in the pants I need to melt away some of this chub. I've been fat all my life, with the exception of a few years towards the end of high school when a head doctor misdiagnosed me with ADHD and put me on Adderall. I have to say, if I wanted to be a junkie, Adderall would be my drug of choice. I read an article in People magazine a few years ago about how a lot of new Moms started abusing the drug because it helped them to lose the baby weight and gave them lots of energy. They were referring to it as "Mother's Little Helper". Looking back on my own Adderall days, I can see why. I had an amazing amount of energy, which wasn't necessarily a good thing considering I would stay awake for days without any sleep and then crash and burn on the weekend. I "thought" it was helping my concentration...which it was...in a sick and twisted sort of way...but it was slowly turning me into a psycho. While popping those evil little pills to help me become a more focused person, my metabolism was also jumpstarted...allowing me to gorge on anything I wanted, without gaining a pound. In fact, the pounds started pouring off...even while eating a Twix and a Coke for breakfast every day. How sick is that? A few years down the road, a new head doctor put an end to the Adderall saying there was no way in hell I was ADHD. Although this made me a happier person mentally, I porked out again. Once a fattie, always a fattie? Nah, I just prefer homemade mac n' cheese over a rice cake and my aversion to exercise is unlike any other. At this point I'm thinking a few more of those Mother-Locks on the cupboards might be necessary... Anyway, tomorrow is the 1st official weigh-in, but since I won't be in the office, I had mine today. Holy moly...that was not pretty. I had lost all of the pounds I put on while pregnant with Will and then some, but today's harsh truth showed that I was creeping up again........could it be the tater tot hot dish I have come to know and love? Most definitely. Weigh-ins are every Friday for the next 8 weeks and at the end, the winner gets the "pot" (to participate each person had to fork over $25 and I believe there are 20 of us so far). Since I just saw the emails today and made the decision to sign up 45 minutes before I left the office, I really haven't thought about my plan of attack. I only know that winning would be really flippin' cool..........and many salads are in my future. I will try to post my successes and failures each week so y'all can encourage this fattie to keep on truckin'.........or make fun of me when I binge on some tato chips. As you can tell, I'm not ashamed to put all of this out there for everyone to read. I've done every diet and "lifestyle change" known to man and eventually quit all of them. If I make it through this challenge, I'll be much better off than I was yesterday...and if I don't, well...I'll add it to my list! Wish me luck!

P.S. I actually am much more motivated about this than I may sound.........of course, that's how I always start off with my "lifestyle changes"....HA!

2 comments:

Katie said...

whoa. That is a crapload of money! I might even get motivated if there was cash involved!! Go girl!!!

Jenna said...

My mom and I are both doing the biggest loser at our jobs too! Its fun, and a lot more motivating when you have encouragement from everyone at work! We have about 40 people, and it was $10 to join, and each week you gain a pound, you pay $1. So if nothing else, I work out and eat right to save some money! Haha. Good luck! :)