My kid now knows what real "boobies" are, thanks to my dear husband......the genius that he is. Please know that I normally would not choose to teach my kids the word "boobie" in the first place, however The Belly Button Book has forced us into it. As I'm sure you all remember, Lili knows her belly button as a "Bee-Bo", thanks to Sandra Boynton. If you ask her where her bee-bo is, she pulls up her shirt (or yours) and points to her belly button (or yours). Cute, huh? Well the kid has been showing early signs of dyslexia and when she started talking would call it her "boo-bee". Even if we emphasized the sounds...beeeeee-boooooo...it would still come out the wrong way...boooooo-beeeee. Funny, right? One night last week something not-so-funny happened. I was getting Lili dressed after her bath when she lifted up my shirt, said "boobie!" and actually squeezed one of the "girls"! I thought it was an accident...you know...poke a belly button, grab a "girl"...kind of the same thing? I asked her what she said and again she grabbed one of the "girls" and said "boobie"! By that point, I figured she had just discovered that Mama had something sticking out up top that she doesn't have and it was just a coincidence that that was one of the widely known terms for it. So the next night we are getting dressed after her bath and she does it AGAIN! Finally I told Drew what happened and you know what his response was? "Yeah, I taught her that." What?!?!?! Why in the world would you teach her THAT?!?! Apparently since our attempts at getting her to pronounce "beebo" correctly were not working, he thought he would show her what a real "boobie" is...you know, because that won't confuse her. So now we all have 3 boobies. The end.
I am a mother of two toddlers (16 months apart), who are slowly but surely sucking the life out of me. My memory is shot to hell, but the one thing I DO remember each and every day is how grateful I am to get to be their Mom and how empty my life would be without them!
No comments:
Post a Comment