Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Friday, February 27, 2009

Nebs & Post Baby Relationships

Lili seemed to be feeling a little bit better on Thursday and her fever was under control, however she sounded awful. Her horrible cough kept her (and us!) up most of the night. We thought we would try to get her back to daycare on Friday, but before I dropped her off I decided to stop at the doctor's, to have them check her out and reassure me that her cough was just a cough. Well...not only did the doc tell us that she sounded "crackly" in her lungs and chest, but she had a lovely ear infection to top it off (yes, she has tubes...but that's never a guarantee)! They put her on nebulizer treatments every 4 hours, as well as some antibiotics and sent us on our way. These issues did not prevent her from going to daycare and her mood had drastically improved, so we thought we would give it a shot. She did awesome throughout the day and is getting back to her "Silly Lili" ways, as I like to call them. We put lots of Vics Vapor Rub on her chest after her bath last night, gave her a neb treatment, put drops in her eyes to combat the pink eye, got a 2nd dose of the antibiotics in her and convinced her to suck down some Motrin for comfort, before finally tucking her into bed. She only woke up once last night, which sounds good...but she was up for almost 2 hours. Wide awake and very cranky! Today is going a little better than yesterday, so I'm guessing it will just continue to get better. Is has to, right?

With the recent stress of going back to work, enrolling the kids at New Horizons and watching everyone get sick as dogs, I've been thinking a lot about the toll it takes on a marriage. So many people used to tell me how shocked they were that Drew and I NEVER fought...and we didn't! I guess we were just so compatible and thought about life in such similar ways, we didn't find much TO fight about. Sometimes I would even worry that we weren't "normal" because we DIDN'T fight and I would PICK a fight...just to say we fought! Nice, huh? Since having the munchkins, I've realized just how much I used to take for granted when we didn't have any responsibilities and how hard it has been to still function as a couple. Our life is 110% these little beings now. Date nights are few and far between...we're sleep deprived, working full time and abnormally stressed out. Little things become big things and it's not all roses and rainbows anymore. Of course our lives seem fuller now that we have Lili and Will...and there are new fun and exciting things to experience with them, but it's definitely hard to find Andrea/Drew time and to not "sweat the small stuff". I have to laugh at some of the ridiculous things that seem to happen when we're both at our wits end. Like Drew's freakouts regarding the laundry and our sty of a house. The house will look exactly the same on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday...and then all of a sudden he has a meltdown about it on Thursday morning...at 6am...when we're all coming out of broken night sleeps and especially "pleasant". Why? Why Thursday? What made Thursday so special? Then of course I have my own lovely ways of venting my frustrations...they go something like this:

A: You think I'm ___ and ___ and ___ !
D: What are you talking about? I never said any of that!
A: You didn't have to! I know you're thinking it and I can hear it in your tone!
D: This is crazy!
A: Oh, so now I'm crazy?
D: I didn't say YOU were crazy, I said this whole situation is crazy!
A: Whatever
D: (Shakes his head...grunts...leaves the room.)
A: (Ponders what the heck just happened! Must have been Angelina...one of Andrea's multiple personalities...)

Lucky for us, our "fights" are short-lived and we're back to cracking jokes and teasing each other just like any other day. I know things won't be this way forever, but I'm secretly laughing at the chicks out there who think having a baby will make their marriage stronger. HA! Eventually I can see that happening, but you have to go through a LOT of crap first! If their marriage is already on the rocks, they might as well get signed up for divorce court because it's highly unlikely they will ever even survive the 1st month! Yikes!

3 comments:

ErinL said...

This made me think about a conversation Paul and I had... we decided that we never want to get married again after being married to each other, so there's no point in getting divorced, lol!

Jenny and Jon said...

this whole post is like a broken record of MY LIFE. I am SO glad to see that someone else feels the same way and is not scared to actually say the reality of how hard it is to have a kid, and still function and make a marriage work and feel somewhat like a normal person... and how much you really do have to have your shi## together as a married couple before you bring kids onto the scene......Jon and I have said that a lot these past 9 months, we cannot imagine what it would be like for young kids that have babies or a single parent. Hang in there, thank goodness you two have the right idea:)

Crazy Sane Mama said...

Man, what a great summary of a girl-guy conversation. You have a real talent for writing it how it is, sistah!

When you're not getting the rest you need, it's so easy to project onto the person closest to you why you think you don't deserve that rest. It happened to me this morning... poor Aa got another introduction in how the rules are different with girls.

I just hope managing an enormous project isn't that much less stressful than having a baby, or my poor husband should just take a year-long vacation in Tahiti once I get knocked up.