So I'm trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.......in about 10 years...when the kids are older and I have a "little" more time to invest in making myself "thmarter". My big idea lately is to go to nursing school, which I'm beginning to think will never happen. Most people who know me know that I suck at science and have never shown any interest in the medical profession. Well, things changed a bit when I was on bedrest and I started thinking about how cool it would be to have such a rewarding job as what I witnessed in the nurses who took care of me and Will. Don't get me wrong...I completely understand that it's not easy to do what they do, but I would like to think that at the end of every day they feel pretty good about how they spent their time and the people they helped to make just a little more comfortable. My biggest issue with this whole nursing idea is that I don't want to do IVs...haha... My friend Dixie is going through a nursing program right now (while working full-time and raising two little ones...don't ask me how she does it...she's crazy!) and when I told her how I wanted to be a nurse, but didn't want to do IVs, she looked at me like I had two heads! Haha... I don't have a problem with the blood or needles, I just don't want to be one of those nurses who can't "find it"......I am still experiencing post-traumatic stress syndrome after the IV parade they took on my arms during my hospital stay. Then Dixie mentioned catheters........um, yeah, I don't want to do those either! So here's my ideal nursing position...give shots, administer meds, do vitals, chat with patients, provide legal advice (o.k. maybe not that!), work the machines and gadgets...........no IVs, no catheters, no wiping butts. Now that I've typed that out and am reading it for it's worth, I'm wondering if I should look into Plan B a little more. What is Plan B you ask? Kindergarten Teacher! Then there is also Plan C...write a book (subject TBD). *Sigh*. I guess I will table this decision for another year or so........or a rainy day when the kids are both healthy again and napping well!
I am a mother of two toddlers (16 months apart), who are slowly but surely sucking the life out of me. My memory is shot to hell, but the one thing I DO remember each and every day is how grateful I am to get to be their Mom and how empty my life would be without them!
1 comment:
I have to say...I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up!
Maybe you could do something else in a hospital setting, but not a nurse?
Post a Comment