Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Did We Figure It Out?




Will had a huge blowout last night. I was sitting peacefully at the computer when suddenly Drew yells, "Oh no! HELP!! HELP!!". I ran out there thinking he had dropped the baby...or Will was having a seizure...or something truly terrible had happened. Nope, none of that. Will apparently had let loose his bowels and Drew had some on his hands. I just stood there and shook my head... So, after a 2nd bath (the 1st was with Lili...obviously!), little man was finally clean again. That was his 3rd poop yesterday, so I was very excited! He's no longer screaming and fussing when he poops either, which is a huge improvement!

Outside of Will's new defacation schedule, we "think" we may have discovered the cause for his fussiness and feeding difficulties. When we went to the pediatrician on Monday, the doc pointed out Will's "squeakiness"...he gave it a medical term, which I could not remember, but was reminded of by my friend Christine the other day...laryngomalacia. During Will's hospital stay right after birth, the doctors and nurses never officially gave this diagnosis and simply told us that his larynx was immature and he would eventually grow out of it. We never brought this up to the pediatrician because we thought it was fairly "normal". It wasn't until the pediatrician actually witnessed a feeding that he called it laryngomalacia. The doctor wanted to address Will's gas and constipation, which is why he was put on the lactulose...and yes, that has been helping...however, he's still crying during his feedings and now only takes 2 oz per feeding, round the clock. He was previously taking 4+ oz in each feeding, so this is a huge change. My mother-in-law said she wanted to do a little research on this laryngomalacia, so after some Google searching, we were both convinced that this was actually the source of Will's problems. Sure, maybe the constipation and gas weren't helping...and maybe all of this stuff ties in together...but just addressing those still didn't "cure" him. Based on the information we found, laryngomalacia can cause feeding issues...starts a few weeks after birth...is more pronounced when laying down vs. sitting up...becomes worse if the baby is awake or upset or sick...etc. It's like they wrote about these things while observing Will! Now, I'm not a doctor and I don't claim to be...but it really seems like this might be it. Yesterday afternoon I even decided to do a little test...I held Will in his normal feeding position (45 degree angle) and he eventually started his crying and spitting. I then moved him to an almost completely vertical position and the fussing stopped. He continued his feeding and took 3 oz! Since then we have held him in that same position for all of his feedings and he is now taking 3-4 oz and seems much more comfortable. If this was truly the issue all along...ARGH! I am planning to take Will back to the pediatrician this afternoon because I would like them to address that specific problem and hopefully they will give us a referral to an ENT. If changing his position helps him through his feedings, that's great...however, I would still like someone to do a more thorough exam to reassure us that it's not to a point where it would require surgery. Plus, I'm hoping the ENT will have some more tips on making Will more comfortable while he grows out of this. I have my fingers crossed that we are at the end of a long road of craziness and my happy baby is back!

No comments: