Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, October 12, 2009

She's A Bloater

WARNING TO ALL MALE READERS: This post may contain references to a certain time of month that you don't even like your wife or girlfriend talking about...much less your friend, acquaintance, coworker, daughter (Hi Dad!), etc...proceed with caution...

So this Weight Watchers thing has been going pretty well overall. Tomorrow night completes my 2nd week on the program and I'm very interested to see what the scale says. I stuck to my points and didn't cheat...not even once...not even a little bit...however, Aunt Flo came for a visit and I'm bloated like a whale. I'm pretty sure my bitchiness alone will prevent me from losing at least a pound, if not more. Add the bloating to that and you have one slow week. Granted, I don't know that that's what is going to happen, but I'm preparing myself to be disappointed. It doesn't matter if you follow the program or not. Aunt Flo is gonna do what she wants to do. Even if I don't lose as much as I am expecting to this week, I can only hope that next week will be a BIG loss for me since by then, Aunt Flo will have finally gone home.

Looking back on the last 7 days, I did avoid a few potential disasters...

  • The other day I went to my friend's for a visit and she and her hubby were about to grab McDonald's for lunch. They asked if I wanted anything and despite not having eaten much myself, I said NO. I'm sure some of you are like, "Sheesh! Saying no to McD's is HARD?!" Ummm...well yeah... How often do you sit there while someone else is eating McD's FRIES and not start foaming at the mouth when all you had for lunch was a salad and some rice cakes? O.k., if you can answer "all the time" to that question then you're a better person than I am. Oh wait...maybe YOU'RE the freak and I'M the normal one?
  • One night last week it was raining like you wouldn't believe out here. I was on my way home and decided to take a different route because traffic was bumper to bumper. I'm driving along on my merry way, when suddenly it hit me...like a ton of bricks...I had to pee like a racehorse AND...I was STARVING!! If you could have seen my face I'm pretty sure I looked like a werewolf...ready to attack. I have no idea why it came on so quickly...hold on, yes I do...it was that damn Aunt Flo again! Of course my only options at this point are 1. Pee my pants and have a snack when I get home (another hour +) OR 2. Stop somewhere along the way...relieve myself in the bushes (o.k., maybe a bathroom) and grab a snack. Of course we all know what this means...I was pretty limited to gas stations or fast food joints. So, I stopped at Culver's...took my potty break...ahhhhhhh..........and then had to figure out my "snack". Now I'm not shitting you here...drum roll please...I got a plain grilled chicken breast on a whole wheat bun, with NOTHING on it. I swear it was like having that 1st meal after running a marathon. Of course I really don't know how that feels...do I LOOK like I've ever run a marathon in my life?!?!?
  • On Saturday we went to the apple orchard/pumpkin patch and subjected ourselves to the smells of hot apple pie, cider and all of the other treats that come with this time of year. I actually got out of there after having only eaten part of a cinnamon apple donut. Luckily I saved up quite a few points and was able to eat that without worrying too much. My bigger concern was stopping there and not being tempted to eat anything else. Isn't it sad how food dictates happiness in so many aspects of our lives?

I guess this means we will just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings. I'm still hoping that I will see at least a couple of pounds lost this week...

No comments: