Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Parental Screwup # 432334983234098234

The kids were in the bath tonight, having their usual evening water fun, when I did something that I can't say I'm very proud of. Apparently I need to read up on the subject of what to do when your child starts showing interest in their "goodies"...and the "goodies" of others. Lately Lili has been a little more curious about why brother's "goodies" are so funny-lookin' compared to hers. She likes to peer over the edge of Will's bathseat at them and occasionally grab them. Will seems to think it's funny, which just encourages Lili to do it even more. I have been trying not to make a big deal out of it, but at the same time, I want her to understand that that's not something she should be doing. The hardest part about coming face to face with this scenario is that Lili is the child who will do something 10 x's more if she knows she shouldn't do it. It doesn't matter what it is...if you show ANY sign of disapproval it suddenly becomes her life's mission to repeat the forbidden act over and over and over and over again... Knowing this, I am finding it difficult to come up with responses to some of the things that she does. I need to stop her from doing these things...but not really draw too much attention to it being "wrong". Simple task? Hardly... So anyway, tonight she actually looked right at me and in her most taunting voice said, "Mommy, I gonna touch baby's goodies!" She said this as her hand slowly moved towards Will. At that point I very calmly responded with, "Lili, you know we don't touch brother's goodies. That hurts him." Once again..."Mommy, I gonna touch baby's goodies!" (followed by the evilest of little laughs). "Lili, bathtime is over if you can't keep your hands to yourself." We went back and forth probably 10 times and next thing you know, she started to grab them and I suddenly blurted out, "Lilian Audrey, don't touch your brother's goodies! They will BITE you!" Yeah, I know...that wasn't the best way to handle the situation. She pulled her hand back, stared at me for a second and then went on her merry way. Obviously she wasn't too bothered by what I said...and it got her to stop...but that's not exactly the way I had envisioned my "motherly teachings". I have no idea what possessed me to say that!!! It just came out in one of those moments of frustration and I certainly can't take it back now. The only thing I can hope for is that she will carry that with her through the rest of her life and it will prevent her from getting knocked up at 16. Haha...no, just kidding. Well, I don't want her to get knocked up at 16, but I also don't want her telling her sex-ed teacher someday that boys have "goodies" and "they bite". *Sigh*...I think I have some work to do on this parenting stuff... Oh and Drew's response to what I said to Lili? He laughed and walked out of the room saying, "No good can come from this". He's probably right!

2 comments:

Katie said...

this cracked me up!! Hey, at least it made her stop right? Can't wait until she tells some random stranger that her brother's goodies bite her...hehe.

ErinL said...

Sorry to say, it may be time for separate bathtime :(