Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, October 26, 2009

Ears

Little Man finally got tubes in his ears on Friday morning. We were pretty darn excited about that! Lili had them put in last October and ever since then, ear infections have been RARE. In fact, she had a good 6 months without any at all! We are hoping the same goes for Will. He has had 4-5 of them since March and several times where there was fluid, but not quite infected yet. All I know is that even fluid can make them incredibly uncomfortable...especially when they have to lay down. The pressure of the fluid against the ear drum is enough to prevent them from sleeping soundly. Lili actually did not consistently sleep through the night until after she got hers and so far, Will hasn't either. I'm secretly hoping that tubes are what he needed to help him do that, but we shall see. Right now he is working on getting his 2 front top teeth in, so that hasn't helped with the sleep situation. One is all the way through, but the other one is taking its time...c'mon tooth!

You didn't think I would make it through this wondrous event without taking a few pics, did you?!?! Silly people!

Here is our little buddy waiting patiently for his preop checkup. After checking his vitals, we played in the play area for awhile until the ENT and anesthesiologist came out to talk to us. Luckily, since Will was about to turn 1, they allowed me to be in the room when they put him under. Normally they don't allow parents in until the child is at least 1, so "technically" I shouldn't have been able to. Anyway, I held him as they put the mask on and it ended up taking 3 of us to hold him down. He was fighting so hard and it seemed to take forever for him to fall asleep! That part was a little hard to witness...and then obviously it's a little freaky to see their eyes roll back and their bodies to go limp...but I knew he was in good hands and it would be a quick procedure!
When they were done, they came to get me from the waiting room. I walked back to the recovery area and there was Little Man being pushed by one of the nurses in the wagon. He was smiling until he saw me...then he burst into tears and held up his arms. It was so sad...but kind of made me giggle a little too! He wasn't in any pain...just feeling a little funny from the anesthesia.
He really did love the wagon though! Once I got him calmed down again, he seemed to be happiest when laying in there with his ba-ba.
With his tummy full and his head resting comfortably on that pillow, he was ready to go home!

No comments: