Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Welcome Home Will!

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted on this thing. The Lane house was crazy this past week and has changed so much! The biggest surprise was that Will came home on Friday. Although we knew he was doing well, we did not expect his discharge to happen so quickly! We were informed of his progress on Thursday morning and told that as long as he passed his carseat test, that he could go home. Abbott inspects all carseats and monitors preemies in them for up to 1 hour to ensure that they do not become distressed by the change in environment. Will obviously did great and by 4pm on Friday afternoon, we were walking through the front door! Luckily Drew's parents were here visiting from Washington this week and were a huge help to us in watching Lili and helping to prepare the house for Will's arrival. We loved having them here and already miss the extra sets of hands!

Another big change in the house is that Lola is no longer with us. When Drew's parents realized that we were serious about finding her a new home (and with a little pressure from other family members!) they decided to take her. Lola has always loved them and I know they feel the same about her. I truly believe she will be happier with them and will get the attention that we could not give her. Despite the love/hate relationship that she and I had developed, I do miss her...but I have to keep telling myself that this is for the best. The person hit hardest by Lola's departure though is probably Lili. She LOVED that dog and thought she was the funniest thing. She now walks around the house calling, "Wooo-waaa! Wooo-waaa! WOOO-WAAA!" Cute, but definitely sad.

Lili is doing really well with all of the change, but between losing her buddy (Lola) and having Will here to take some of Mommy and Daddy's attention away from her, she's been a little out of sorts. It hasn't been too bad......but you can definitely sense some of her frustration and that is really sad to me. We're trying to give her extra hugs and get her involved in caring for the baby, but it isn't always enough. Today was better than yesterday for her, so I just hope it continues to get easier. I don't want her to ever feel "replaced". Sometimes I wish she were just a tad bit older and could truly understand what is happening and that she is still our little girl!

Well, Will is hungry! I will post more later...as well as some fun pics of Lili's interactions with her little brother! =-)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay! So glad to hear that Will got to come home! I'm sure you guys have your hands full right now. It will take some adjusting for Lili, but I'm sure she will grow to love her little brother. Let us know if you need help with anything now that your in-laws have gone home!

Katie said...

yay!! So glad Will is home!! Keep us posted on how things are going with him and Lili!

Chris said...

Awesome, so glad to hear he's home!!

Unknown said...

Congrats! That is so exciting and huge relief, I am sure! I am very happy for you guys and can't wait to see him again!

ErinL said...

YAY! That is wonderful news! It is definitely easier having an older kid when you bring the baby home. Carter is my extra set of hands when Paul is gone, for sure. I'll probably even miss him when he goes to preschool tomorrow and it's just Henri & I!

How is he being fed, are you going to try out the nursing thing? Stick with bottles??? Henri and I are finally starting to figure out the nursing thing. That's a whole week sooner than Carter and I did.

Are you off work now? Is Drew able to take time off work? Just giving you some questions to answer for your next blog entry!