Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, November 10, 2008

For Women Only...

...unless you're a guy who isn't squeamish when it comes to talk about breastfeeding...then feel free to read on!

So most of you know I was never interested in breastfeeding. Lili was formula fed 100% and when those evil, beady eyed lactation consultants asked me for the 50th time if I wanted to "try it", I gave them my look of death and again told them to start prepping the formula. This time however, the magnesium must have sucked out whatever was left of my brain and I decided to trying pumping and bottling. I'm not one for having a baby hanging off of my chest, as "natural" as that may be to some people, so pumping seemed like a better fit. I'm on day 12 of my new milking routine and the entire process makes me want to "moo". To be quite honest, I don't know how women do this for months on end. I certainly understand the benefits of breastmilk and my whole reason for trying it this time is because it is easier for preemies to digest, but it still stresses me out! Between working, taking care of Lili, visiting Will at the hospital each day and dealing with all of the normal hormones and emotions raging through my body right now, I already feel overloaded. Add pumping every 3 hours to my list of duties and I'm about to lose it! I know, I know...suck it up, right? Right... I'm still holding out hope that things will get easier and I will find my groove. I don't want to give up so soon, but when you're cranky and worrying incessantly about things beyond your control, it's very easy to start losing focus! I just need to keep reminding myself how good this is for Will and quit being so selfish!

5 comments:

Katie said...

It's SO GOOD for Will. I know you can do it, at least for a little while longer. :) You must have a bunch of 'extra' milk, since he isn't eating a ton right now, right? So you can save it up, and even after you stop pumping he'll still be able to get breastmilk for awhile!
Stop pumping when it starts to take over your life, for sure. I still wish I had been able to do it longer, but there was a sense of relief when I was no longer 'tied' to the pump! But for now, just focus on the positives, and how well he's doing!
Moooooo! Just kidding ;)

Jenny and Jon said...

Andrea, try actually breast feeding Will when you are able to...it is SO MUCH easier than pumping. I was determined to breast feed Jackson, it was hard the first week and hurt, but then one day it was like a switch was flipped and everything was totally fine. I pump 2x a day at work and give up part of my lunch hour to do it one of the times, but when I'm with him, we never have to pump and it is SO EASY to feed him and totally convenient, no bottle to make, no cost of formula and the bonding experience of it all cannot be expressed in words....give it a try, the pump is the worst part but you get used to it like anything else:) I'm 5.5 months into it and it does not seem like anything out of the ordinary now...good luck:)

ErinL said...

Actual breastfeeding is easier, pumping is not, lol! After you get over the first 2 weeks or so of excruciating pain and the kid getting the hang of it. In the middle of the night, instead of going downstairs to warm up some formula, you hook the kid on and go back to sleep, you wake up, realize kids is asleep and put them back to bed. Easy Peasy.

Andrea said...

You guys are all scaring me!! You are all my dedicated breastfeeding/pumping friends who are way stronger than I am! Maybe actually breastfeeding would be better? I just know that pumping is so "mechanical".....there really is no joy in doing it...just the security of knowing that my baby will be getting some good stuff! Thanks for all of the tips! Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do and how long I can stay strong! =-)

Jenny and Jon said...

I forgot to tell you, when I first went back to work it was hard to pump and I hated it, I had pumped at home but at work was a whole different ball game, take a small photo album of baby pics and put it in your pumping bag and then if you are in a non-friendly pumping place, just look at the photos, the milk will come easier and it will distract you from the "task" at hand. Now I don't need the photos anymore, but at first I did. Also, I put a nursing drape over myself at work when I am in my office just in case someone decides to barge right in.....you can buy those everywhere, also get yourself a hands free nursing bra if you have not already, google it and you can find some...medela makes a great sleep nursing bra too for the nights, plus never leave home without a spare set of nursing pads to put in your bra, especially in the early days!!! Good luck, you can do it:)