Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, November 17, 2008

Pump Mold?

O.k....can any of you expert pumpers out there tell me what I should do about mold in the breast pump attachments?!?!?! Although I clean everything after each use, tonight I noticed a couple of teeny tiny black mold spots in the pieces that attach directly to the tubing. I have not been using a brush or anything like that to clean in the crevices...I guess I thought what I was doing was enough? Apparently not... Anyway, after I found the mold I scrubbed everything and then sterilized the parts in the microwave using one of the Medela microwave sterilizer bags. I think I've done everything I can now to get rid of it, however.........what do I do about the milk that I have been pumping and freezing? Since I didn't noticed the spots before tonight, I have no idea how long they were there. Could they have contaminated the milk that I have already pumped? How much should I throw out?!?!?!? Ugh........I just knew this whole pumping deal was bad news............

1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't have any experience with this (I had a different kind of pump, and no moisture got near the tubes).

I'd check with a lactation consultant or one of the nurses in the NICU about keeping or getting rid of some of the milk...