Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Thursday, November 13, 2008

PEEKABOO!


I had a great visit with Will this morning! As you can see from the pic, he actually opened his eyes for me! I had seen quick flashes of his eyes before, but today he seemed more alert than he had been since he was born.
See the little socks over his hands? Apparently he's already getting into trouble and last night yanked his feeding tube out. The "mittens" are now there to protect him from himself!

We reached a really big milestone today too...Will got to have his 1st bottle! He's only eating 1 oz per feeding, but he took 9mls (30mls per oz) on his 1st try. They didn't expect that he would do that well, but he surprised them all. It was a little scary giving it to him though because after sucking a few times, he would have to stop and gasp for air. I guess this is all part of learning how to eat, swallow and breathe at the same time. I got a good burp out of him, laid him back in his isolette and discovered that he was soaking wet. Apparently when I had changed his diaper, I didn't direct his wee-wee downward and pee shot right up out of it during his feeding! What a mess!

As I was leaving, the nurse said that she was going to recommend to the doctor that Will start being transitioned to a bassinet. This is another big milestone and one of the requirements for going home. He has to be able to maintain his own body temperature in a bassinet for several days. If he can master that soon, along with the feedings, he will definitely be home by Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Katie said...

that's great news! I'm glad he is doing so well!!

Michelle said...

Very good news! He is making such great progress. We are so happy for you guys!

ErinL said...

He is so tall! I didn't realize it until today's picture! Hopefully we'll be bringing home our own baby by Thanksgiving as well. You'll figure out that "extra part" of boys soon enough, don't worry.