Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Rethinking "The Toddler"

After the last few days, I'm not sure another toddler is in our future...........maybe a 5 year old? Satan himself has taken over Lili's precious little body, leaving us wondering if an exorcism is our only way out. Miss. Lili has gone off the deep end...over the edge... Unpeeling a banana and giving her half, as we have done multiple times a week for MONTHS, now induces tantrums like we've never seen. The sad part is that I have NO IDEA what I "should" have done! Yesterday I tried unpeeling it and giving her the whole thing...same results. Today I tried slicing it...nope, not it either. WHAT DOES SHE WANT?!?!?!? We've had tantrums over putting her socks on, going inside after outdoor playtime, baths, things I don't even understand...oh and the ongoing, neverending tantrum? What to put in her "cuppy". The kid says she wants "whad-der"...I give her water...she freaks out...I tell her I gave her water...she insists that she still doesn't have "whad-der"...I ask her if she wants juice..."Yes, dew"...I give her juice...she freaks out...then she starts saying "mil", for milk..."Oh, you want milk?"..."Yes, mil"...I give her milk...she freaks out..."Whad-der! Whad-der!"...I walk away and bang my head on a wall. What is happening here? The most frustrating part is that Drew can't lift either of the kids right now and is actually experiencing a little more discomfort than how it was explained to him...so the temper tantrums are left to me to deal with. This morning I was a little edgy because our coffee maker decided to take a crap on us (coffee EVERYWHERE!) and I had no idea what Lili was freaking out about at that moment. Drew says to me, "You seem like you're in a bad mood". Ummmm....really? I've been up with the kids since 5:45am, I have had NO CAFFEINE and my adorable little monster is screaming for some completely unknown reason and doesn't have a vocabulary advanced enough to tell me what she wants!!!!! Nope, feeling great honey....HA! A large, extra strong Caribou cold press and 4 Advils later...we were all good!

1 comment:

Crazy Sane Mama said...

Hi, Andrea,

It's called the terrible twos for a reason. My former boss used to call it the "milk--no milk!" phase because her daughter would just go back and forth about what she wanted. There is no "right" thing to do that will make her "happy"--but you can only allow her a certain number of switcheroos before you tell her she's done. Of course, she'll get even madder at first--but she'll learn that even her new ability to make decisions has limits.

Andrea, everything I read in your blog tells me that you are a great mom. Have a little faith in yourself! You're doing fine (even without caffeine...).