To tell you the truth, I'm just plain lazy when it comes to potty training. It's not really on my priority list right now...I'm "comfortable" with changing diapers...I don't have to worry about extra messes...diapers are easy. As I mentioned before, we bought Lili a little potty a few months ago (I thought it would be MONTHS before she showed any real interest) and she loves to sit on it. The only problem was that even though we told her it was a "potty", she called it her chair and continued climbing on the adult potty. We were afraid she would fall in someday and scar herself for life, so we also purchased a child sized Sesame Street seat that sits on top of the adult seat. Since doing that, every night after dinner she runs for the bathroom yelling "Potty! Potty!"...and every night we strip her down...sit her on the Elmo seat...listen to silence for a few minutes...and then help her hop off. We always clap for her (even though she didn't actually "do" anything) and tell her what a good job she did, but I truly thought the concept was falling on deaf ears. Yeah, she knows the sequence of events that her father and I take to go potty (we have an "Open Door Policy" in our house), but we have had several incidents where she sat on the potty, got down and peed right NEXT to the toilet...and a couple of incidents where she sat on the potty, got down, hopped in the tub and dropped a few logs while taking her bath...I just didn't think it was "clicking". Apparently I was wrong. Tonight Lili went pee-pee in the potty, without any encouragement from me (I don't encourage her to do anything when I'm being lazy). We walked into the bathroom after dinner, just like every other night...I stripped her down, just like every other night...she yelled "Potty!" and I cursed the whole damn process in my head, just like every other night...and that's when I heard little windchimes.........................*tinkle! tinkle!*. I ran over to her (I think I scared her just a bit because she jumped slightly and there was a sudden pause in the tinkling) and tried to get a glimpse of some "ripples" in the eau de toilette. I didn't think I saw any, but then she started up again and was really going! I got so excited I was jumping up and down and screaming, "Yay Lili! Mama is so proud of you! What a big girl!" She had the biggest smile on her face! I showed her how to take a piece of toilet paper and wipe "down there" (she thought that was funny...especially since she usually just touches it to her butt, fully clothed)...and then she got to OFFICIALLY slam the lid down and flush. She jumped up and down with me a few times and started clapping too, which was particularly funny because when she jumps, her feet never leave the ground...haha... So now I'm debating..........do I go into full blown potty training mode..........or do I pretend like it never happened and hope we can keep the diapers around until I'm "ready"?
Wow! That is amazing that she actually went! Logan has been "sitting" on his potty for about 6 months now and still nothing. I know boys take longer than girls, but wow! I can't believe she went. Logan hasn't been as interested lately, but I am also not really pushing it (like they say not to). But I know that if he just goes one of these times, he will understand what we all talking about! :) Whether you decide to pursue this or not, its a big milestone, Congrats!
I am a mother of two toddlers (16 months apart), who are slowly but surely sucking the life out of me. My memory is shot to hell, but the one thing I DO remember each and every day is how grateful I am to get to be their Mom and how empty my life would be without them!
1 comment:
Wow! That is amazing that she actually went! Logan has been "sitting" on his potty for about 6 months now and still nothing. I know boys take longer than girls, but wow! I can't believe she went. Logan hasn't been as interested lately, but I am also not really pushing it (like they say not to). But I know that if he just goes one of these times, he will understand what we all talking about! :) Whether you decide to pursue this or not, its a big milestone, Congrats!
Post a Comment