Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, March 8, 2010

A Doozy

Well, this weekend was a real doozy with 2 near death experiences...

First, we were almost hit by some idiot speeding through a red light on our way to Lili's gymnastics class. No, it wasn't like a burnt red-orange...the light was RED...and had been for at least a minute. I remember having close-calls before and being scared, but I don't know that I have ever been as scared as I was just then. We literally were passing through the intersection at the same time as the idiot driver, going in the opposite direction, and I swear that car couldn't have been more than 10 feet in front of us. They were going SO fast and we weren't doing too bad at about 40mph ourselves. I think what scares me the most is having the kids in the car with us. Something about parenthood really changes your perspective on things. Having a family brings about some pretty horrific thoughts and feelings that are triggered by events which normally wouldn't bother you in the same way. For instance, taking a business trip and leaving your kids at home with the spouse. What if the plane were to crash and you left your children without a mother and your spouse without a spouse? Personally I've never really been afraid of flying...but now suddenly I have so much more to worry about if something were to happen. Of course when this incident occurred on Saturday, the only thing I have thought about since then is what if... What if we had really been hit. We would have been hit on the driver's side which would have meant that Will and I would have gotten the greatest impact. Would we have survived? Would only some of us have survived? Stupid. I need to forget about this and just be thankful that nothing did happen.

To make my day even better, later that afternoon I decided to go grocery shopping. Drew was going to stay home with the kids and I was excited to use some of the coupons I've been clipping and to see how much I could save. I get in the car, hit the garage door button, start to back out....BOOM!!!!!! Ummm...what just happened here? Yeah, I hit the garage door. I was obviously not paying attention as to whether the door had made it all the way up yet and it had not. I pulled the car back in and got out to survey the damage. The garage door was off it's track and pretty mangled in one corner. My car.......my poor, poor car had scrapes and scratches and dents that spanned a 1 foot by 3 foot area on the hood. At that point I had to go in to tell Drew the 'good news'. That was fun. I don't think it helped when he came out and I suddenly began to laugh hysterically. I have a tendency to do that when I'm stressed or nervous......though it really was pretty funny...

Needless to say, I'm hoping next weekend isn't quite as 'eventful'...

1 comment:

Jenny and Jon said...

I totally worry about those same kind of scenarios, it is not stupid, you are SO right, having kids does change your perspective, the only solace I have is that I have done our wills myself and named a guardian for Jackson and also we are carrying the max in life insurance we can carry so if the "what if" happened, it would be horrible but at least survival for those left would be possible!! I worry about the business trip too and I always say I only want all of us flying together.....