Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Little Time Bombs

Kids are like little time bombs...you can hear the ticking, but you don't exactly know when they are scheduled to go off. I'm pretty sure this is why Moms have anxiety. We are constantly wondering when the next phase, growth spurt or illness is going to hit and the suspense is slowly killing us. Even simple things, like the night time routine at our house, has its fair share of surprise. Almost every evening after work, I pick up the kids from daycare around 5pm. Depending on how long it takes me to gather their stuff, check in with the teachers and gab with the director/assistant director...we arrive home sometime before 6pm. Some days it's 5:20pm, other days it's 5:45pm. The big question that I'm always stressing out over is...what mood will my kids be in when I pick them up? Will Will be screaming for a feeding all the way home? Will Lili be fussing to play outside and throwing tantrums about random things that I can never seem to determine until the storm has calmed? Then come the questions about how things will be when we finally walk through the front door... Will Will be content in his Bumbo, Exersaucer or Jumperoo while I get dinner ready and Lili fed? What will Lili actually end up eating for dinner (tonight it was grapes and raspberries)? Will Will tolerate some of that yummy baby food or turn his head away in disgust? Will Lili allow me to wash her hair or continue her anti-bath campaign? Will the kids go to bed easily or throw a fit when I lay them down? The unknowns of parenthood is driving me insane! I thought it was supposed to get easier over time, but I still find myself worrying about what the day will be like and what challenges I may have to face. You would think I would have gotten over it by now!

Tonight I had two EXTREMELY happy kids, which made the few hours I get with them each day so enjoyable! We were able to take a walk, talk to the neighbors and ride bikes outside for an hour and a half before heading inside for dinner. They didn't make it to bed until 7:30-8:00pm, which is almost 45 minutes past their normal bedtime, but they did great! Everyone went to bed with a smile on their face and Mom got to spend some extra time with her munchkins. Can't get any better than that!

Oh and so far so good on the chicken pox....though every little red speck on their bodies makes me question whether or not its "starting"!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I hear ya...after Mara has a bad day, I'm always on pins and needles the next day, waiting to see what will happen!!

ErinL said...

You are so right. Both Henri and Carter have slept through the night TWO nights in a row. Have I? NO! I wake up every 2 hours to check the clock. Ug! maybe it is the coffee that I'm now addicted to because neither of them would ever sleep! Tonight (assuming Paul gets home from work-they ship today) I'm taking a Tylenol PM...