Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Kids

Recently I've started to freak out a little bit about how quickly the kids are growing. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for them both to sleep through the night...and communicate more...and to understand who Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are...but at the same time, I think it has finally hit me that this is IT. This is the last time we will have a 23 month old and a 7.5 month old. Will is the last round of "1sts" that we will get to experience with one of our own children........the last 1st smile...the last 1st rollover...the last 1st belly laugh...the last 1st toe grabbing... So now, rather than being excited about the 1sts that are happening, I am almost a little weepy. It's not as if I can say well "maybe" there will be another round of 1sts...nope, no more 1sts...unless Drew wimped out and just sat on the couch for 4 days for no reason at all.

So anyway, both of the kids are doing so many new and fun things these days. I thought Lili had gone through a vocabulary explosion a few months ago, but that was nothing compared to what we've just seen. In a matter of a week, she went from 2 word "sentences" to 3-5 word sentences and repeats EVERYTHING you say! Some of the best things we've heard?

"Ah unt bean means Mama!" = I want green beans Mama!
"Beebee night-night, Lee-Lee night-night" = Baby went night-night. Lili wants to go night night too. (Alrighty then! You don't have to ask me twice!)
"Bruller paco too?" = Can brother have a popsicle too?
"Gose!" = Gross!

Outside of the chatter, Lili had her 1st full day of summer fun at our house this past weekend. We're talking bubbles...water table (best toddler invention EVER!)...bikes...playing with the hose... She even experienced her 1st trip and fall accident on the sidewalk and skinned both her knees. She cried but got over it pretty quickly!

Will on the other hand is turning into a monster! This kid is still so freakishly happy, but he's HUGE...and lately, all he wants to do is eat. I'm attributing it to a growth spurt, but at the same time it worries me. Lili has never been a big eater, even when she was going through a growth spurt, so I can't fully comprehend this need to eat all the time. His feedings during the day haven't really been affected, but he's now taking in more baby food and then during the night he has decided to wake up every 3-4 hours and SCREAMS bloody murder until he has been fed. This has been going on for about a week now and previously he was "almost" sleeping through the night. I'm trying to get more food in him during the day...to see if maybe he's just not getting enough to sustain him through the night...but he refuses to take more than a certain amount. 6 ounces in a feeding is his max. We have also noticed a BIG change in his mobility as well. He is rolling all over the place! I'll lay him on the floor and 10 seconds later he's 5 feet to the left. Then he gets mad because he'll lay there on his belly looking at a certain object of interest, but is frustrated because he can't get it. Today Lili crawled through the door of her Fisher Price Laugh N' Learn house and was calling "Bruller! Hi, Bruller!" and giggling. Will had rolled over to the house, but obviously doesn't have the strength yet to crawl through the door to get to her. He was grunting and fussing and looking right at her like, "Hey! Help!". Poor kid! We're also thinking that a lot of his night-waking is because he's moving so much and we often find him smashed into a corner of his crib or with his limbs "stuck" between the bars. He can't quite move away or pull himself out, so I can only imagine the discomfort and frustration. By the time we get to him, he's so mad nothing seems to calm him down...except a bottle. We've tried binkies and rocking and everything we can think of to soothe him back to sleep. He wants none of it! Thank God he still wakes up every morning with a smile on his face, which makes us wake up with one too!

Our little stud...hanging out like a big boy!
Jumping in the jumperoo under a tree on a hot, sunny day? Too much fun!
Miss. Lili pushing her cup in a stroller...
Such big smiles!
Hang on Dad...let me show YOU how it's done!
Look at all those bubbles!
Water table fun.
It's like I belong here...
"PACO!"
...and of course "bruller" should have a "paco" too!
Daddy thought it would be funny to bend the hose to stop the water........and then let out a surprise!
I just want a sip!
CHEESE!
Two boo-boos!
Owweee!!

1 comment:

ErinL said...

Andrea, just wanted to let you know I could have written your post about Henri word for word. Wierd thing? He only rolls to the left, so he hits furniture and won't roll back the other direction. Carter says, "mommy, come reset Henri" and I move him back over so he can roll to the left again.