Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, December 22, 2008

What Happens When You Fall Down The Stairs Carrying A Newborn?

I've always been curious as to what would happen if I fell down the stairs carrying one of our babies. I remember after we brought Lili home that was one of my BIGGEST fears! Most days I wouldn't even let Drew carry her down the stairs and insisted that he give her to me. I would then hold her tight against me and use my other arm to hang on to the railing. I would take one step at a time and make sure that both feet made it safely to the next step before attempting another one. For some reason, doing it that way made me feel better. When I went to the doctor to get my "happy pills" 6 weeks after Lili was born, she actually said that the fear of falling down stairs carrying your baby is very common among new Moms experiencing severe postpartum depression (like I was at the time). Anyway, luckily I never had the opportunity to find out what it would be like to take that kind of a fall with Lili, however the other night...while carrying Will...I did. I have always wondered if mother's instinct would kick in as everyone said it would and if I would sacrifice my own body for the safety of my child. I am happy to say that that is exactly what happened! Granted, I only fell halfway down the stairs, but as it was happening I felt myself gripping Will much tighter and sort of held him as high as I could while I was taking a tumble. I bruised my knee and twisted my ankle a bit, but other than that, we were both safe and Will actually slept through the whole thing! I guess that mother's instinct really does kick in when it needs to! I do still wonder what would happen if I had gotten completely knocked out though..... Would Drew have come home and found me out cold at the bottom of the stairs with a baby sleeping on my chest?!?!?! Why am I thinking about and worrying about things that may never happen?!? Yep, that's right...I'm CRAZY! =-)

2 comments:

Crazy Sane Mama said...

You're not crazy... but you do sound a little stressed. I agree with your friend who commented in another post -- you sound like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself. (Take it from someone who puts a lot of pressure on herself. Heh.)

Being stuck in over a foot of snow in Seattle (hello?!) really puts things in perspective for me. A friend of mine wasn't able to buy any of us gifts because it snowed too much on her one day off. She felt bad, but I realized that seeing her is so much more important to me than what she brings me. Love is more important than stuff.

Right now it's all about the love for you -- about being a mom. The rest of it -- if it doesn't make you happy, skp it. You have the best excuse in the world -- you have a preemie newborn. Milk it for all it's worth, girl!

- Vera

ErinL said...

You did better than I did. I fell carrying Carter (he's 3 1/2 now) and I totally threw him down the rest of the way! Luckily we only have 1/2 flights of stairs and we were 1/2 way down.