Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

-13 Days...6 Weeks & 5 Days Old



Based on his actual due date, Will is now 6 weeks and 5 days old. If we go by his estimated due date though, he's still -13 days old. I am definitely confused by this as I try to figure out how and when to implement various feeding and sleeping "schedules". If I am to consider him -13 days old, then all of that can be thrown out the window......I can hold him and snuggle with him as much as I want to, without "spoiling"...I can allow him to feed and sleep on demand...and his awake periods can be considered normal with how random they are. If I am to consider him almost 7 weeks old, shouldn't there be some method to the madness? Don't get me wrong...he's really a great baby, but I can't help but be bothered when he seems unusually fussy. This is when I start to wonder if I should be DOING something. Am I not feeding him enough? Am I feeding him too much? Should I be forcing him awake at various times throughout the day or do I just let him sleep? If he's truly -13 days old should I really have ANY expectations of the little peanut right now? Am I going crazy?!?!?!?!? Sounds like it, huh? =-)
Here are a couple of pics of the little ones from Sunday night. We are still trying to teach Lili to be gentle and we tell her to only give the baby "nice touches" (which she learned about at daycare). If she gets too rough and you tell her to give him nice touches, her fists suddenly relax and she gently rubs baby Will on the top of his head.......then she comes over to give Mommy nice touches too...haha! She really doesn't mean to hurt him.....she just LOVES HIM SO MUCH! In fact...a little TOO much!

2 comments:

Katie said...

oh, those pictures are so sweet!!

I think you are doing just fine with what you're doing. He'll let you know if he's hungry, or sleepy, or whatever. I say just follow his cues! It sounds like he is a pretty content little guy, so it must be working so far!! :)

Jenny and Jon said...

Andrea, we have that same swing and Jackson who is OVER 18 pounds and 6.5 months old STILL sleeps in it OCCASIONALLY in what we deem to be sleep emergency situations (i.e. he wakes up at night adn WILL not go back to sleep and stay asleep). We've made a pact though, when we get back from Ohio after the holidays the swing is getting packed up and put away no matter what!!!