Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Timeouts & "Bopples"



Lili is becoming quite the little terror! Timeouts started for her at daycare this week due to her sudden interest in pulling hair and hitting other kids. The 1st day that Mardeen told me about this, I took Lili home and I was suddenly the victim of her new found frustration. Of course I told her "no" a million times and eventually told her that if she didn't stop she would need to have a timeout. The look on her face told me she knew exactly what I was talking about and she responded by shaking her head and saying, "No!". I told her she needed to be a good girl and only give nice touches. She gave me a hug and that was the end of it.....for that night... Today Mardeen said she was much better, so I assumed that that would continue when we got home. Ummmm...nope. Not the case. 1st she started on me with pinching and pulling my hair (she actually pulled a small chunk out!)...then she moved on to Will. The 1st time she did anything, I told her "no" and threatened the timeout. She immediately burst into tears. I'm not talking about those fake cries of insincerity...I'm talking about full blown sobbing with crocodile tears running down her face. I thought I had gotten through to her, but a couple of minutes later she was yanking on Will's arm again and smacking him in the face. I put her in a timeout and again she sobbed and sobbed...with lots more tears. After each "incident" she would give me a hug and give Will nice touches on his head, but then within minutes would be back at it again. This continued for 20 minutes! Ahhhh!! I was really trying to be firm on the outside, but on the inside I was laughing hysterically at the drama. If y'all could only have seen her face!

Another new development in our little Lili is her vocabulary. I know kids usually put their own spin on words when they are 1st learning to talk, but I swear Lili has her own complete language! The hard part is getting Drew and I to pronounce the words correctly after hearing her pronouncing them incorrectly in "Lili-language". Take for instance the word "apple". Lili calls them "bopples" and happens to LOVE "bopples". She saw a "bopple" in the fridge the other day, so any time she walks by it now we hear "Bopple? Bopple? Bopple?". At dinner last night we realized that there were no more apples left so when she started demanding one, Drew told her we didn't have any and then proceeded to ask her if she wanted some "bopplesauce". Huh? He didn't even realize he had said it until I made fun of him. Not only do we see this with apples, but there are many other words that come out in interesting ways. "Thank you" is "Day-doo!"..."Ball" is "Bow"..."Baby" is "Bee-Bee"..."Milk" is "Muh"..."Belly Button" is "Beebo" (like in "The Belly Button Book" by Sandra Boynton!). Occasionally we hear words clear as day though and she has the two most important words in our house down pat..."Monkey" and "Poo-poo"!

Here are a couple of pics that made me laugh this week. The 1st is of Lili brushing her teeth. Me being the clueless mother that I am didn't realize that kids needed to start brushing their teeth as soon as they had them. I always just assumed she was too young for that. I was recently enlightened on the subject so we purchased a Baby Einstein toothbrush and some Winnie The Pooh kids toothpaste. Lili now brushes her teeth as part of her bedtime routine and LOVES it! The other pic is of Drew and Lili horsing around this past weekend. What is so funny about this pic, but hard to tell just by looking at it, is that she is pulling up Drew's shirt in the back.......to find his "beebo"! Haha... She doesn't understand yet that belly buttons are only in the front! Needless to say Drew and I were laughing hysterically as she continued to pull his shirt up in search of his "beebo"...all the while yelling "BEEEEEE-BOOOOO! BEEEE-BOOOOO!!!!"

3 comments:

Katie said...

oh my gosh...Lili is a riot!! Sounds like she is definitely keeping things interesting!

I've tried brushing Mara's teeth, but she hates the toothbrush (she really doesn't like things in her mouth)! I want to get this little rubber one that slips over my finger instead...I think that might work better for right now...

Jenna said...

Wow! Sounds like you guys have your hands full! I wonder what Mara will be like at that age! ;) Right now shes so sweet and innocent, I cant picture her being naughty!

ErinL said...

Carter is the same way about time-outs! If he ends up in it he tells everyone, "mommy put me in time out and I did not like it at all" for the next week. People ask if we spank and I say we have no need to, Time out is threat enough!