Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, December 15, 2008

The Only Mom In The World

I think one of the most disturbing things about being on maternity leave is that I often feel like the only Mom in the world. Obviously I know this is far from the truth, but there is a certain amount of seclusion that goes along with caring for a newborn. Yes, I have Drew and Lili...but in the middle of the night, while everyone else is asleep, it's just Will and I. Even during the day, while Drew is at work and Lili is at daycare, it's just Will and I. You would think that sweet little baby would be company enough..........and in many respects, he is...but I still feel like we've been locked in this house and I'm the only one going through the ups and downs of motherhood. People tell me to get out of the house or chat all day on the phone with family/friends, but I'm too tired! Seems like there is always something to be done around the house...or Will needs some extra attention...or I'm tuckered out and taking a nap! This means that when I wake up or do have a moment to myself, those feelings of being the only Mom in the world come flooding back... It becomes this vicious cycle that I can't seem to get out of! Maybe tomorrow I will venture out to Caribou...........or Target? I think I have a bit of the baby blues right now and hoping all of my friends out there caring for newborns of their own are staying upbeat and getting through those 1st few weeks without too much wear and tear! We just have to keep reminding ourselves that it DOES get better! =-)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I know the feeling...not currently, but I felt like that a lot in the first few weeks at home. It definitely helps to get out, but I'm sure that's harder in the winter when it's so cold. But for me, even just taking a shower and going out for an hour made a difference. Shoot me an email or give me a call if you want/need to chat!! Do something nice for yourself...ignore the housework for a night or two and get out by yourself (even just to go get a coffee or something)!!