Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Circumcision




On Monday we took Will to the pediatrician for his 1st check up after being discharged. She said he looked great, even though he had not gained any weight since being home...which is a big no-no for preemies. She decided to do another weight check before the end of the week, so we scheduled that for this morning...along with his circumcision (they were supposed to do it in the hospital...but that story will have to wait for another day). He had gained 3.5 ounces since Monday, which proved to her that he was growing and also gave him the go ahead for the circ. Even though I knew that he needed to have this done, every time I looked at the little Mike and Ike (that's what I think they look like when they're that small!), I couldn't really "see" what they were going to remove...she definitely showed me what I was missing while she talked me through her steps....... I'm not squeamish when it comes to blood and I've seen my baby poked with enough needles in his short life, so I figured it couldn't be that bad. Needless to say, I am regretting that decision now. His doctor has done thousands of circs in her career, so she was a pro at it...but that didn't make it any easier. She used lidocaine, so at least the area was numb, but he still didn't like what was going on and just SCREAMED. I was dipping his pacifier in sucrose water (apparently it helps to calm them) throughout the procedure and although it helped at times, at others it did no good. He has been such a calm baby that I have never seen him that upset, which was a little disturbing. Overall though, he did well and is now resting in his crib with his binky after a good dose of Tylenol. If any of you have an opportunity to be present during the circumcisions of your little boys, just be aware of what you're agreeing to. Not only was it hard to hear Will so upset, but I also decided to watch the clamping and snipping and everything else that goes with it...........yuck! That's gotta hurt!

3 comments:

ErinL said...

You are braver than I am, I didn't go with either of the boys to have theirs done. I was satisfied that both of them were sleeping by the time they got back!

Unknown said...

Oh, that is the worst... and I don't know how you watched that! I am sure they told you about the vasoline and important that is so that the diaper doesn't stick to it... but what they may not have told you is how much you will use! I bought a couple of tubes thinking that would be enough and boy, was I wrong. Stock up! You will go through it like no tomorrow! Just when you think you have enough, you will run out and need more. Maybe it was just me, but I always wanted to make sure I was putting enough on. I didn't want it to stick!
He is so cute Andrea!! He has a very nice complexion.

Jenna said...

I actually got to watch a circ during my OB rotation in nursing school, and it was a lot more dramatic than I was expecting. The sucrose usually helps as long as you are constantly putting more on the pacifier. The doctors said a lot less parents are choosing to have it done, so they are seeing a lot of teenagers and adults come in to have it done now. Yikes.