Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Everybody Poops

Why is pooping so embarrassing to so many people? Just this week alone, I have witnessed the old flush-when-you-poop trick in the women's restroom at work 4 times!! C'mon, you know that trick...the one where you can't possibly delay the kids jumping in the pool any longer...yet there are other people in the restroom who might 'hear' you...so just as they take the plunge, you flush the toilet to disguise the noise? You know you've done it, so don't try to deny it. I remember pooping in public places being a big deal back in grade school and high school. Mainly because kids were mean and God forbid anyone say anything to you about your bathroom activities...or share those activities with others. Those were devastating possibilities which many of us tried to avoid at all costs. During those years, I also pulled the flush-when-you-poop trick, believing that it was saving me from future mental and emotional anguish. Well, guess what girls? You can still hear it...even above the whooshing of a public toilet. Your farts and droppings and other bodily functions are just as clear as if you hadn't flushed the toilet at all. The whooshing is merely background noise for the greater event taking place. I laugh when I realize this is going on now because it makes me realize just how self conscious people still are...even as adults in the working world! As for myself? I don't flush...at least not until after. At this point, I figure everybody poops...

No comments: