Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tag Teamin' It

When I spend some one on one team with one of my kids, I often think about how sweet and funny they are. My attention is suddenly focused on just that one child and I start to see things that I never took the time to notice before. Like today I noticed just how adorable Will's eyes are. I always thought he had such a cute face...but his eyes really struck me today and I immediately thought about how many hearts he would be breaking in future years. Yesterday, when I was with Lili, I realized that at some point she had turned into a little girl. She seemed so 'mature' and understood everything I was saying to her and then the thought of her going off to school soon made me excited for her and scared...all at the same time. I also tend to notice how much 'easier' things are when I just have one.......and I want to smack myself for ever thinking one was hard when we just had Lili. Sometimes I think I'm being give a BREAK when I only have to take one with me to the grocery store.......or entertain only one for an afternoon...

Although I saw all this sweetness in my children this weekend, I also saw the devil in them too and the truth came out. They ARE sweet and funny individually.........but when they're together? They are DEADLY! They tag team Drew and I better than I have EVER seen a 2 year old and 3 year old tag team their parents. They know exactly what move the other will make and can smoothly slide into each and every 'plan' being implemented. I don't know if they have hand signals, or looks that they give one another...but there is SOMETHING going on. Example? Lili let's Will into the bathroom. He can't open doors yet and she knows he's not supposed to be in there. Lili stands outside the bathroom door while Will enters. It's like she's the spotter. I notice what is taking place (I was alerted to this when I heard the toilet flush 4 times in a row) and head for the bathroom myself. I go in to remove Will from his position on top of the toilet (when he's had enough with the flushing, he usually gets on top of the toilet to try reaching the bubbles). As I am gently placing him back on the floor, I hear the toilet paper roll...Lili is pulling an excessive amount of toilet paper from the roll to 'wipe my boogers'. I stop the roll from spinning and show her the appropriate amount of toilet paper to be used. I then turn again to head out the door, but find that Will has climbed onto the counter and is now turning on the faucet. I turn off the faucet, get him down and try pushing him out the door. He starts screaming in protest and while I'm wrangling him in (that little bugger is STRONG!), Lili is climbing onto the counter now...laughing all the while. I keep a firm hold on Will's arm, grab Lili with my other arm...walk out of the bathroom.........put them down about 5 feet from the door.....and RUN back to shut the bathroom door before Will can get in. And that is probably one of the simplest sequences of insanity that we encounter frequently around here. Now multiply that times 25 and that's the number of 'situations' we have to combat in a given day...

Those toddlers...I tell ya...they are evil! =-)

No comments: