Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Saturday, October 23, 2010

'Aggressive'

I went to pick up the kids yesterday from daycare and asked Will's teacher the same thing I ask her every day...'So how was he today? Everything go o.k.?' Her response? 'Ummm...yeah, he was o.k.'. I also saw this look on her face and could hear this tone in her voice that lead me to believe 'o.k.' really wasn't so o.k. After a little more discussion I discovered that Will had decided to make a transition into being the class bully that day. Apparently he was pushing and hitting and throwing things at some of the younger kids in his class. 'Aggressive' was the term they used to describe him. Now, my boy has always been a wee bit energetic...and stubborn is his middle name...but he really hadn't reached the 'aggressive' state...until now. Of course I felt absolutely horrible about my hooligan son picking on other kids and immediately wanted to take action...but seriously, one look at him and I knew he was completely clueless. The only thing we can do at this point is to stop him in the act, redirect him to something else, give him timeouts and hope for the best. I really want this to be a short-lived phase. I don't want to be dealing with behavioral issues at the age of two. I know all kids go through weird stuff like this, but I wish my kid had chosen something else to do at this stage in his life. Even today the kid was a monster! Hitting and biting Lili...destroying everything in his path...throwing fit after fit... Drew and I were both pretty close to running away. Far, far, away!! Of course his big brown eyes and maniacal laughter melt us every time and we always change our minds, but man...what a roller coaster ride!

No comments: