Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Carving With Wee Ones

Carving pumpkins with a 2 year old and a 3 year old can easily make you want to pluck your toenails out...one by one... I LOVE this time of year and I LOVE Halloween, so despite knowing that this would probably not be considered 'fun', we HAD to carve pumpkins, right? Right!

Drew was in bed sick the entire weekend, but luckily by Sunday afternoon things had started to turn around for him. He was at least mobile and functioning and when I suggested slaughtering pumpkins he seemed o.k. with the idea. I gave him some more drugs and we got started...

Last year Lili LOVED sticking her hands in the pumpkin guts and grabbing handfuls of seeds. At the ripe old age of 3 however, she has turned into a little diva and could not imagine doing such a horribly gross thing!
So Daddy assisted and showed her how it was done...
...and Lili had to put her hands on her hand in absolute horror!!
But then she re-thunk it and told me that maybe she could do it too. So she stuck her hand in...
...and picked out one, itty bitty, fairly clean seed. Just one. And exclaimed, 'I did it!'...
Then we let Will try...
He found the contents of the pumpkins very peculiar! And since he couldn't see all that he wanted to see...
...he stuck his head in the pumpkin as far as it would go...
After gutting them, Drew began the carving. Lili insisted on having her name carved into the pumpkin. 'My name begins with L Daddy!'. We encouraged her to pick an actual face, but that was not in the cards for Lili's pumpkin.....and boy, does she love her pumpkin...
While Drew carved Will's pumpkin, I tried to distract the kids with our gourd collection. Lili decided that stacking the baby pumpkins would be fun, and so she did...3 punkins' tall...
...and then Will tried...because he now does everything that Lili does (and more!).
...and I swear he was yelling 'Dammit!' when they would all fall down...
In the end, after listening to Will yelling the ENTIRE TIME, we came up with these 2 masterpieces. Will did not get to have a say regarding what was carved into his pumpkin. As you can see, Drew depicted what Will really was at that moment...a little devil!

1 comment:

Jenny and Jon said...

what a cute post!!Looks like they had fun!!