Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Oh Summertime

This summer has been really busy so far and is only going to get busier! I've never really looked forward to summer as an adult because I hate the heat...I hate the sun...I hate bugs and dirt...and I would rather spend all day, every day inside my house in the AC than outside, so what's the point? Drew and I have never been big on vacationing during the summer months and we don't really do a whole a lot. With kids though, I am being FORCED, against my will, to leave the comfort of my home and to get them outside...expending energy... I remember the summer when Lili turned 1 I still tried my damnedest not to go outside. Drew kept pushing because he is the exact opposite in that respect, so sometimes I would go...just to appease him. The summer when Lili turned 2 and Will was almost 1 I did find myself more willingly going for walks and hanging out in the backyard for the sole purpose of wearing out the munchkins.

Now fast forward to this summer...Lili just turned 3, Will is almost 2 and they are extremely high energy kids. I have actually been TRYING to get them outside doing different activities or even just running around the backyard...and I'm kind of starting to enjoy it. I never thought I would utter those words, but it's true. Granted, I still go racing indoors once the mosquitos start to come out around 7 or 8pm...and I will find the shadiest spot I possibly can no matter where we are...but in general, I look forward to opportunities where the kids can have a little fun in the sun. We have been to the MN Zoo twice, to the park once a week, on many walks around the neighborhood, to a friend's cabin for the weekend, to Beebe Lake Beach and of course spent many hours in the backyard with our blow-up pool, water table and swingset. I have SO many pictures, but not enough free time to get them all posted...even though I'm trying to think of the best way to recap everything we have done the last couple of months. I have really been enjoying myself and I can tell that the kids have too. They love any activity where they can run free, be wild and go crazy! Summer is perfect for that!

1 comment:

Crazy Sane Mama said...

It's OK to have some memories and photos that you don't share with other people. They still exist and they are yours to share or not as you choose! :)