In the last few weeks a couple of transitions have started taking place for Lili and they both are pretty significant...potty training and no nuks at naptime!
I have to admit, I thought we were doomed the very first day we put the kid in underwear. We decided to go cold turkey because we had tried Pull-Ups in the past and they just weren't working for her. I don't think there was enough of a difference between diapers and the Pull-Up to remind her that she needed to go on the potty. She was too comfortable in the Pull-Up, so over 4th of July weekend we decided to put her in panties and see how things went. The big mistake that I made was talking to her about it before hand and getting her really excited about her new Disney Princess underwear. I thought that was a good thing...you know, to get her really pumped about being a big girl. Ummm...sort of...except that most packs of toddler underwear comes in an assortment. Variety is good, right? Not when you're potty training a 3 year old and she's SO excited about her Princess underwear and the fact that each pair has a DIFFERENT princess on it that she would purposely pee her pants to get to the next princess! Of course I can't say for sure that that is what she was doing, however she peed her pants 4 times the first morning and each time would say, 'I want the _(insert princess name here)_ underwear next!'. Luckily the excitement eventually did wear off and the accidents started coming less and less. In fact, for the last 4 days she hasn't had ANY accidents at all...has been waking up from naps and bedtime completely dry...and is doing AWESOME!!! I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of her!
Not only is she getting the hang of potty training, but we have also eliminated nuks from naps! About 6 months ago or so, we got her down to only having a nuk at naptime and bedtime but were too nervous to go any further than that. Recently we started getting rid of the nuk at daycare for naps and then continued that here at home too! She still gets a nuk at bedtime, but in a couple of months (once potty training is more 'stable'), the Nuk Fairy is going to come and leave her a present in exchange for the rest of her nuks and will take those nuks to other babies who need them. She seems excited about the Nuk Fairy visiting, but at this point we don't want to completely disrupt her nighttime sleep, or derail any of the other things (like potty training) that we are working on. One step at a time...
The most awesome thing about all of this is that Lili really seems to be happy about becoming a big girl. In the beginning she seemed to have mixed feelings. One minute she would be telling us she was a big girl and the next she would be stomping her foot and telling us she was still a baby. It definitely seems as though the 'baby' moments are becoming less frequent and we are seeing her 'big girl' moments more often. When she wakes up in the morning she will put her nuk on the counter and tell me, 'I a big girl. I don't need a nuk.'...then she heads for the bathroom to do her morning business. It's so exciting and I am SO happy for her!!
2 comments:
Congrats to you guys and to your big girl! We are contemplating taking Jackson's paci, I am going to do the snip the tip method and then he will decide himself he does not like it. We did a test run with one and it worked...until he went and found one we did not cut and promptly popped it into his mouth and went about his business, ha! It is going to be rough but we have to do it!!
I'm hoping Henri's transistion to "big boy" will go as well... He worships the ground Carter walks on. And is trying to potty train himself, at 19 months! But with new baby coming, I'm not even going to start in case he decides being a baby is better than being a big boy!
Post a Comment