Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How Rainbow Party Came To Be

This Saturday is Rainbow Party. Now I know what you're thinking...and your thinking is WAY off. This is a party for kids...a party that's meant to be fun and colorful...nothing more, nothing less. Last year my friend Dixie came over with her 2 kids to join Lili, Will and I for a playdate. Our plan was to try making rainbow cupcakes. I had found a recipe online that looked really cool and I wanted to see if they would turn out. Since it was close to Easter and since I had wanted to teach myself how to make Peepshi (Google it), I decided to do that as well. Next thing you know...the kids were dressing in rainbow colors, lunch was served (including a rainbow fruit tray) and it turned into a little 'Rainbow Party'. This year, with spring right around the corner, I decided we should do it again...but with more friends! Yes, I know I'm crazy. I made invitations and we are now going to have close to 15 kids, all under the age of 7, and 7-10 Moms joining us for the festivities. I am really excited, but also a little stressed about everything that needs to be done. I'm always jumping into things like this and then as the time nears, I have just a wee bit of a freakout. I must like the chaos...HA! I've got a yummy, colorful menu planned, art projects for the kids to do, rainbow goody bags.......should be a ton of fun! I'm even taking Friday off now so that I can do the baking in advance and clean the house!

The ONLY downfall I have experienced with Rainbow Party this year involves Lili's mouth. I opened my big mouth a few weeks ago and mentioned we were going to have Rainbow Party again this year. She remembered it from last year and immediately got excited. Apparently she got so excited though, she told every kid and teacher at daycare about it...and continues to talk about it...every day... Some days she invites everyone to her Rainbow Party too. Of course the teachers are a little confused because she calls it her 'Rainbow Party Birthday Party'...and they know her birthday isn't until July. I don't really care that she's excited and talking about it, I just feel bad that we can't truly invite every kid in her class...haha... Then again, her talking about it CAN become frustrating at times...like last night, when we had this conversation:

Lili: Mommy, are we having my Rainbow Party Birthday Party?
Me: Well, we're having a Rainbow Party this Saturday, but it's not your birthday party...it's just for fun.
Lili: Just for fun? It's not my birthday?
Me: No, your birthday is in July and it's only March.
Lili: Oh
Lili: Are all my friends from school coming to my Rainbow Party Birthday Party?
Me: No Sweetie, we are having some of your other friends come. Only a couple of your friends from school will be there, like Mckennah and Emersen. It's not your birthday party. When we do have your birthday party we will invite all of your friends from school too.
Lili: Are we going to have cake at my Rainbow Party Birthday Party?
Me: Lili, the Rainbow Party is not your birthday party...it's just for fun...but yes, we will have cake. Lili: Mckennah can't have chocolate Mommy, so she can't eat cake.
Me: Yes, I know. I bought Mckennah her own special cupcakes that she can have.
Lili: I Mckennah going to bring me a present for my Rainbow Party Birthday Party?
Me: Lilian...the Rainbow Party is not your birthday party so no, you won't get any presents.
Lili: Are we going to have party hats at my Rainbow Party Birthday Party?
Me: Lili....................it is NOT your birthday. We are NOT going to have party hats because it is just a party for all of us to have some fun. We will decorate cupcakes and do some art projects and have lunch together. That's it!
Lili: Ok Mommy. I like cupcakes. Don't forget Mckennah is allergic. She can't have chocolate at my Rainbow Party Birthday Party.
Me (In my head only...): FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THIS IS NOT YOUR BIRTHDAY PARTY! THIS IS JUST FOR FUN! WE WILL NOT HAVE PARTY HATS OR PRESENTS!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm only dying laughing because I have been through this. I can tell Lili is 3/4 age because when I read this conversation with Lili, it was in the voice of the just now 4 year old little girl I took care of today.