Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Family Fun

So many fun things to blog about these days, but by the time I actually get around to doing it, there is never enough time! Life is busy and crazy, as always...so I will give you a quick rundown of our adventures!
Starting with Drew's coyote. Did I mention he shot his first coyote a few months ago? Yep, first time out and he got one. He took the hide to some dude nearby who cleans them and this was the result. He walked through the door and the kids immediately took an interest in it. Lili didn't seem to mind petting the coyote, but Will was a little more timid. At one point Drew took the hide and pretended to lunge for Will. Yeah, that didn't go over well. The kid continued to ask where 'Caillou' was and refused to even go near the bathroom because he had to pass by the hide. In case you are unfamiliar with Caillou, it happens to be a kids show on PBS and since Will apparently has a difficult time pronouncing 'coyote', he began to call it Caillou... The kids spend a lot of time coloring. Normally we have a strict coloring must take place at the kitchen table rule...........except this one time, when I let them take just their crayons and color on the floor. Overall I thought they did really well, except when I later discovered crayon markings on the wall. Needless to say I don't think we will be doing this again. They sure did have fun while it lasted though!
Normally we have a strict coloring-only-happens-at-the-kitchen-table rule, except this one time...when I let the kids take their crayons and books in the nearby room. They thought it was the coolest thing and I thought they had done really well...until I found a whole bunch of crayon marks on the wall behind them.
The kids have such awesome imaginations. This is their new 'car' that they now race home to drive. Lili is always the driver and Will is always the passenger. They have a blast in it...until someone gets hurt. They take turns being the victim.
On this afternoon Lili must have been really bored. One minute she was playing quietly and the next minute she came out ready for the beach...but with her winter hat on, of course!
Dress up is always one of the activites that both kids get involved in around here. I could try to give Will a hard time about it and refuse to put his dress on....but he loves it and it's so hard to crush him like that. He wants SO much to be like his big sister and to do everything that she does!
Paint. We have suddenly accumulated quite a bit of it. We have watercolors, fingerpaints and acrylic paints to choose from and they both ask for them almost daily. Overall they do a really good job, but there are still fights over colors and they still make a mess. I'm trying to limit it to weekends just because it does get a little crazy and I can't handle them doing that while I'm cooking in the middle of the week!
The blue tongue. Don't worry, that was from a sucker...not from the paint!
This past Saturday we took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese. Lili and I went for a birthday party back in November and had a great time. There weren't too many people and the place was pretty clean. This time Drew and I decided to make it a family outing and do the same. We should have known that a Saturday night was going to be bad...but of course we were hoping for the best. Getting in wasn't too bad and our pizza came quickly. HOWEVER, the place was PACKED, about 100 degrees and the only thing you could think about while in there was GERMS. Drew's first comment after we left was, 'Well we know where the next epidemic at daycare will be coming from.' He's probably right. The kids still had a blast though and that has sort of been our new goal...to do more family things now that the kids are getting older and to have some FUN with them!
The galloping horse was pretty darn cool. Will got up there himself and was ready to take off. I think he wanted it to go faster!
Lili LOVES horses and this was definitely her favorite! She rode twice and seemed so natural up there. I know it sounds weird to say that about a mechanical horse, but she has ridden quite a few real horses in her lifetime already and always looks like she was made to it. She's never afraid and can never get enough!
The kids really liked this game too. It's the one where the tokens fall off the little ledge. Drew kept letting them put tokens in and I'm pretty sure we blew 75% of them on this game alone. Lili and Will took turns grabbing the tickets that popped out and bringing them to me.
Yep, that's my ticket boy!
Before we left we had pizza. Well, I should say Drew, Lili and Will had pizza. I had raw veggies, which was no fun at all, but hey, if I'm ever going to meet my goal I have to suck it up at events like this!
Little Man served himself 2 slices, but only ate the cheese and pepperoni off of them. Nice, huh? He's starting to pick up some of the same bizarre eating habits as his big sister...but I still have some hope that he will grow out of that phase. I probably shouldn't hold my breath though, right?
So many more fun things to post about in the next few days...and I STILL have more Jamaica photos to share!

No comments: