Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, March 28, 2011

21x21

Today I reached my first big goal...20 lbs lost. Actually I went past my goal and am now at 21 lbs and 21 inches lost, in 5 weeks. Although I'm pretty darn excited about this, I have my moments where I wonder if it's the 'right' thing to do. I mean, we all know I'm not going to go the rest of my life without carbs, sugar or dairy. That's ridonkulous! The Ideal Protein diet isn't designed to be a 'forever' thing, but I wonder what the reality is really going to look like once I phase out of the program. Currently I'm on phase 1. This will last until I've lost 90% of the weight I want to lose. At that point I will move into phase 2, which eliminates 1 protein pack each day and reintroduces some normal foods. After a period of time you then move into phase 3, which eliminates another protein pack and reintroduces more foods. Finally you move into phase 4, which is the maintenance phase...the day you are free! I'm optimistic that I can eventually get through all of these phases, especially with the weight loss that I've seen so far. What I worry about is how I will be once Pandora's box is open again and I'm no longer restricted on what I can and can't eat. How careful will I have to be to maintain my weight at that point? Will I really notice when I start to gain weight and will I have the strength to stop myself? I CANNOT end up back in the same situation I am in now. No way. This diet, while it has made me feel really good and has chopped off 20 lbs already, SUCKS! This isn't 'fun'...and it's really not enjoyable in any way, shape or form. I guess it's not meant to be either... I mean hell, I let myself pork out, so I'm pretty sure this is my sentence that I will need to work off before I can be forgiven. I just hope that all of this energy and effort that I'm putting into this will be worth it in the end and that I won't sabotage everything that I've worked for. Only time will tell!

1 comment:

Jenny and Jon said...

Take pictures with each week, month or phase, and use them as a goal as you continue to lose weight, it will be easier to stick to healthy eating and incorporate exercise into your diet as you get healthier and hence keep the weight off! It is SO HARD and you are right, you won't live on this kind of a diet forever but the trick is to utilize the skills you learned to get to your goal weight to keep the weight off. YOU CAN DO IT:)