Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Friday, February 25, 2011

Leftovers

O.k., enough of the fat talk...let's move on to something more exciting! And yes, eventually I will get back to posting about our trip to Jamaica too!

The other night we decided to have leftovers for dinner. Genius, right? When you're late and you didn't plan ahead and you have lots in the fridge from the nights before...then leftovers it is! So I ask the kids what they want for dinner and give them a choice between tacos and mac n' cheese. Lili immediately signs up for tacos and Will took his predictable mac n' cheese. While warming things up I asked them THREE times if that's really what they each wanted. I even pulled the, 'Well, your brother is going to have mac n' cheese, are you sure you want tacos?'...and 'Well, your sister is going to have tacos, are you sure you want mac n' cheese?'... All THREE times Lili wanted tacos and Will wanted mac n' cheese. With THREE consistent responses from each of them I figured we were doing pretty well.

At this point I get everything warmed and dish up plates... Actually, Lili gets a plate with a taco on it and a couple of tortilla chips, while Will gets a bowl with mac n' cheese AND a little plate with some broccoli on it. I set the table, call the kids, everyone starts to eat.................and that's when all hell breaks loose...

Lili: I want some mac n' cheese in a bowl.
Me: You said you wanted a taco.
Lili: No I said I wanted mac n' cheese AND a taco.
Me: You're going to eat both of those?
Lili: Yes
Me: I highly doubt that. If you eat half of your taco I will give you a little mac n' cheese.
Lili: (Eats half of her taco) Can I have some mac n' cheese now?
Me: (Puts a spoonful of mac n' cheese on her plate, next to her taco)
Lili: NOOOO! I don't want it on my PLATE...I want it in a BOWL!!!
Me: Lili, you already have a plate for your taco, just eat the mac n' cheese off of that.
Lili: (Crying) NOOOO!!
Will: Mommia, I want taco too.
Me: You said you wanted mac n' cheese buddy and I gave you some broccoli too, your favorite!
Will: NO! I want taco!
Me: Eat some of your mac n' cheese and I will give you some taco.
Lili: He can't have my taco! (More crying)
Me: I'm not going to give him yours I will make him his own.
Will: Want my OWN taco! (Starts crying too)
Me: I'm going to give you your own, calm down!
***This is when I thought I was going to lose my mind and decided just to even everyone out. I got Lili a bowl for her mac n' cheese and I got Will another plate for his taco. I fixed the rest of the food and everyone was happy......

Then I proceeded to observe the insanity that goes on between 2 year old and a 3 year old siblings.

Lili took the mac n' cheese out of her bowl and put it back on her original plate.
Will gave his taco to Lili after reconfirming, with a taste, that he truly did not want tacos.
Lili tried Will's mac n' cheese...you know, because it's different than what I had put in her bowl.
Will tried Lili's taco...again, because they were different.
Will asked Lili for some chips.
Lili gave Will chips.
Will tasted the chips and threw them back at Lili.
They then swapped spoons and forks to taste the food with each other's utensils.

I just don't get why we can't just sit down at the table and eat a nice dinner without this type of craziness!

No comments: