Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Jamaica: Day One

Overall, the flight to Jamaica was uneventful. We flew from Minneapolis to Charlotte, NC and then from Charlotte to Montego Bay. Our first flight was a little late leaving MSP, which made our layover almost nonexistent. The boys were going to try to go out for a smoke in Charlotte, but there was no time for that...which meant they were cranky. We told them to suck it up and put smiles on their faces before we GAVE them something to be cranky about! Lucky for us, they both took a little nap.

I have to say, there is something a little disturbing about arriving in another country. It just 'feels' weird... Yes, they spoke English, but it was broken English which made things difficult at times. Can't tell you how often I was like, 'What you say?' Seemed like a completely different language to me. Aside from that, the Montego Bay airport is NOTHING like the airports we have here in the states. It was small and completely disorganized. Even the small airports in the US have a system...this one had none. Eventually we got through immigration and were escorted to the Sandals Resort area. They have their own lounge at the airport with restrooms and a beverage station...beer, coffee, water, soda, etc. I found it odd because the airport was pretty rundown and then there's this lounge that looked like it was for the high rollers. We certainly weren't rolling in the dough, but apparently we had no problems compared to some of the other people we saw throughout our trip.

The Sandals people grabbed our luggage and told us to get some refreshments and meet them out front in 20 minutes. They would take care of everything for us. So we did as we were told, like good little soldiers.

Once the boys had had a smoke and some beer, they were in much better moods and were a little more willing to take pics with us... I thought this was a pretty darn good one of Drew and I. I love how I'm pale and red...and he's a nice golden tan. Looks almost Mexican, if you ask me! We went with our friends John and Lisa, which was pretty darn cool. They, along with their 4 kids, are like a 2nd family to us since our own families live so far away. I'm glad we were all able to make this work with our schedules!
This is what the airport parking lot looked like. I'm pretty sure every resort in the area was represented here.
Of course there also had to be a Margaritaville attached to the airport as well...providing refreshing beverages to the passersby...
We hopped on a bus provided by the resort and headed to the hotel. We were staying at the Sandals in Ocho Rios, which apparently was a 2 hour drive from the airport. It was nice to see some of Jamaica, but it also kind of sucked too...especially after a long day of travelling.
This was a sign at the front of the bus we were on. Yes, everybody wants a tip and everyone truly does say 'ya mon'. Seriously...it rolls of the tongues of the Jamaican people like spit on a hot summer's day. Initially it made me giggle, but by the end of the week I couldn't stop myself from saying it too.
We drove by the police station...which looked more like a frat house to me.

'On De Run'...great name for convenience store!
This was a van that drove past us at one point. I couldn't believe how many adults they had crammed in there! I'm sure other cars have had more, but sheesh!
Yes, in Jamaica they drive on the left side of the road...and their steering wheels are on the left side of the vehicle.
We made one stop about an hour into the drive. It was basically a rest stop with a Bob Marley gift shop. This is where we were offered drugs for the first time and also where I got to be...Andrea Marley.
A cool tree, at sunset, in front of the rest stop...with a beater sitting next to it.
When we finally arrived at our hotel, I was pleased to discover some towel art on our bed. A flower.
The room was really nice...
...and so was the bathroom.
We had dinner that night at a restaurant called the Bayside. We ate out on their balcony which overlooked the ocean. Afterwards we enjoyed some drinks on the patio. As you can see I am already pinkening up!
Our view from the patio. This was the Sandals pier out on the ocean. Later in the week we actually got to eat at the restaurant out on the pier. It was beautiful!

No comments: