
Both of my kids really liked it and Will LOVES it. In fact, Lili still wants to sit in it occasionally, but due to her size, sometimes gets "stuck"...this becomes her little clown act and provides us nonstop entertainment as she dances around the kitchen with the Bumbo stuck to her butt. ANYWAY, when we had Lili, we always had to consider the dogs when leaving her on the floor, so most of the time we couldn't. Instead, we would put her bouncer or the Bumbo or a playmat on top of our kitchen table or the island and she would play while we made dinner or did the dishes. We "knew" we shouldn't be doing that, but Lili didn't really move much. She was a pretty stationary kid and wanted everything brought to her. She hated rolling...hated being on her tummy... After having Will, we no longer had to worry about the dogs...however we still had to protect him from his big sister...so on top of the counter/table the Bumbo/bouncer/playmat/etc. would go. For months now he has played happily and "safely" with at least one parent only a couple of feet away. When he started rolling feverishly around the living room about a month ago, we took everything off of the counters/tables...with the exception of the Bumbo. I had never seen one of these sitters tip over and couldn't imagine it actually happening. Well, my worst nightmare was about to come true. Yesterday afternoon I had Will in the Bumbo on the island in the middle of our kitchen while I was making lunch. He was chewing on "Giraffey" (this stupid, squeaky, rubber giraffe that is the most wonderful invention on God's green earth) and dropped it next to the Bumbo on the counter. I had turned toward the stove for just a minute and when I turned back around to check on Will, he was stretching his chubby little arm as far as he could go...trying to get his Giraffey back. Before I even had a chance to get it for him, I watched...absolutely HORRIFIED...as he twisted his little body out of the Bumbo and ROLLED OFF OF THE COUNTER!!! I never moved so fast in my life (I truly didn't think fat people COULD even move that fast) and I actually caught him, by the back of his shirt...with his face about 5 inches from the floor. Of course he erupted into screams after getting the crap scared out of him...but they only lasted about 20 seconds because the poor little dude didn't have a scratch on him. Granted, I am now completely traumatized and I'm sure he is too, but in the end...he's safe........and I have learned my lesson. I do have to say though, that Bumbo seat never once budged. It didn't rock or even slightly lift up on either side. It was all Will twisting himself enough to get free. Every day he amazes me with some new trick. I'm hoping the next one doesn't highlight his mother's stupidity.
1 comment:
oh geez, that must have been scary but your mother's instinct was with you and you caught him just in time! We also used to put our bouncy seat on the counter and new towards the end we were pushing our luck but with dogs, you cannot just put the baby on the ground in those things......
Post a Comment