Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Gymnast?

This summer Lili took a gymnastics class through Community Education with a few of her buddies from New Horizon.  It was a good opportunity for them to expend some energy, plus I figure it would be a good opportunity to identify where Lili's 'talents' are...outside of being sassy and disobedient.  I don't see the Olympics in her future, but she had fun and was able to do everything the instructor told them to do...except listening.  She really didn't want to listen much.  Especially when we got to the end of the summer 'program'.  They were supposed to do a little performance for us to show their families all of their mad, new skills...so we went...

All of the classes sat in groups around the edge of the main floor mat where all of the performances were taking place.  Each group had 1-2 parent helpers who were supposed to make sure kids were behaving and staying seated.  I don't think the parent helper for Lili's group was doing much, as you can see...  Lili spent most of the time making faces at her friends to get them to laugh and bouncing around like a rabid monkey.
I didn't care so much until she started standing up....and running out onto the floor mat while other groups were trying to practice.  Luckily it was just the pre-performance practice here, but still!  I waved to her to sit down and even called out her name a few times to get her attention, but of course I was too far away...and the place was packed.  Eventually one of the lead instructors stood near where they were, to prevent them from stepping onto the mats...and the parent 'helper' finally moved Lili away from her friends.  Can you believe it?  Barely 4 yrs old and the kid is making serious trouble wherever she goes...
Finally it was time for Lili's performance.  I was relieved because I thought for sure this would keep her busy and focused.  They trotted out onto the floor...
Took center stage...
...and then the craziness started.  Making faces, bopping around in her spot.  I guess I should just be thankful she wasn't running all over the place.
Everything Lili did was 'more'.  If they were supposed to wave their arms around, she waved and made faces and wiggled her butt out at people...and then laughed hysterically.
She even faked a fall at one point so she could roll around on the floor and make her friends laugh. 
Finally her buddy Mckennah helped pull her up...
...and she continued on with the show.  She was always the last one...but at least she was doing it... 
...just in her own time...  Everything in Lili's life has been done on 'Lili Time'...starting from her birth.  I should have known when she popped out at 35 weeks that something was amiss.
Their final move?  To throw themselves on their backs on the floor in a circle.  Cute, huh? 
The medal ceremony was even cuter though. You could see Lili busting a gut over getting a medal.  Maybe because she knew she had been a stinker and probably should not have gotten one? 
I wanted to get some pics of all of the girls together, but that didn't happen.  I did snag one of Lili with her buddy, Ella!
And of course a few of the little stinker by herself...on our front walk...showing off her medal...
...and her attitude...
...and her runway pose...
...and her devil look...
...and her BUTT...
...and her cheesy grin... 
I kind of felt like I needed a drink after all of that.  I went from being excited...to mortified...to frustrated...back to mortified...to RELIEVED!  Yikes!  Not sure our family is cut out for extracurricular activities...

No comments: