Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

PITA

My Mom is a pain in the ass.  I love her and I'm SO glad she's o.k., but she is the worse patient ever!  I'm pretty sure her first words when she really came to after the stroke were 'Can I go home?'.  I KNOW they were the first words she uttered to the doctor the following morning.  I KNOW what hospitals are like and I KNOW she misses the comforts of home, but seriously...SHE HAD A STROKE.  I tried telling her to chill...and to use this time to heal...but of course she said she was 'fine' and saw no reason why she couldn't leave.  Don't get me wrong, she has made AWESOME progress.  When she initially woke up the doctors noticed some weakness on her left side, slurring in her speech and general confusion...all things that are pretty typical with the aftermath of strokes.  After a couple of days though, the slurring almost wasn't noticeable...she definitely was more aware of what was going on...and with physical therapy every day she is walking with a walker and able to get herself around without much of an issue.  I am SO thankful that her recovery has gone so well, but the doctors still suggested rehab for her and of course she is refusing.  They can't 'make' her go and I know it's not her ideal, but I worry about her living alone.  It's hard to think of her not having the support readily available to her if and when she needs it.  It makes me sad that she has to call 911 on her own and that family is usually notified several hours after something has happened.  I hate that I am so far away and can do nothing to help her...  BUT, she is an adult and I can't make her move...or go to rehab...or do anything she doesn't want to do.  I just hope that she takes better care of herself going forward and really pays attention to what her body is telling her!  Mom...if you read this...I LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

Jenny and Jon said...

Andrea, is there a neighbor near by that you guys can contact to check in on her daily? That may ease all of your minds a bit.