Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Eggs!

Coloring eggs was a big hit for both of the rat monkeys this year...except Mom chose wrong when she selected the egg dying kit.  I wanted to find something that was a little more user friendly for toddlers.  Lili is more advanced when it comes to these skills, but Will...well, he's a boy.  And he's crazy.  So I ended up finding one that had little sponges and the kids could actually dab the dye onto the eggs.  Sort of reminded me of painting.  I figured they would like that because they love to paint and it's something they can do themselves.  Sitting patiently waiting for an egg to soak in dye isn't all that exciting and I knew we would be fighting with them to keep their hands off.  Well, after opening up the package and getting things ready, I quickly learned that it wasn't all THAT different from your basic egg dying kit.  Yes, you did get little sponges, however you had to be coordinated enough to use tweezers.  With the tweezers you picked up the sponge and dipped it into the color of your choice...then dabbed it on your egg.  Not only was the coordination of this a pain, but it was extremely messy and the dyes were your normal vinegar type dyes.  Nothing special about them.  In the end the kids had fun but I still expected more out of this $3.00 kit.  Next year I swear I'm going to find the ultimate egg dying kit...

No comments: